• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is PC2700 supposed to be CAS rated at?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clevor

I got a Kingmax 512 MB stick that sucks. Won't overclock worth a darn no matter what the CAS settings. I bought it since it has 6-ns Winbond chips.

It is rated PC2700 or DDR333. From Sandra, I get the impression it is rated at 2.5-2-2-7 at 167mhz. Is this correct or does it depend on the manufacturer? Kingmax's web site says nothing.

It has 150 errors per #5 loop in Memtest at 2.5-2-2-7, at 167, 1:1, so I presume it is defective. This is at default 2.5 volts.

Actually I am wrong, I believe it is PC3200? The label says DDR-333, and it DOES have 6-ns Winbond so it should be PC3200.

It should do a lot better than that, though.

While 6ns Winbond are great chips the PCB board has a marked effect on the realized performance. While I have no direct experience with Kingmax I haven't heard the most complimentary things about them. The JEDEC PC2700 standard is cas latency of 2.5, and if it specifys the other timings I'm sure they would be 3,3,7. It sounds like you may have just rolled the dice and lost, but I certainly wouldn't sweat returning as low a performance piece of ram as that if you can.

Last edited:
Larva, if I set SPD in the BIOS, it shows as 2.5-3-3-7. Damn, it will probably pass that.

But Sandra shows the ram as 2.5-2-2 at 167 mhz. So I figure 2.5-2-2-7? It flunks there.

I'm gonna try and get a refund for the ram tommorrow. I've had pretty good luck with the stores here in Japan.

Back