• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOOO close.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lithan

Disabled
Goddamn I should write an article on how NOT to put a watercooling setup together. But after more than a month and assloads of trips to the hardware store. I should finally be ready to test my setup tomorrow. Sure my radiator is in a wooden box that looks like a special ed shop class project... Sure the setup is entirely immobile (Big wooden box for rad with a seperate AT power supply to drive the fans). Sure The radiator is only temporary until my copper/brass one arrives (this is copper/brass/alluminium), sure I still have to mount my fill and bleed lines, install the sheet metal shroud, and finish weatherstripping the large gaps in the box, sure I spent about 200$ total on a setup that SHOULD have been under 110$ (40$ in hardware I didn't need, 15$ in gas I shouldnt have used, 15$ on a leaky radiater, another 15$ on a temporary radiator, 5$ on snacks to eat while I waited in my car at my buddies house for him to get home so I could use his skill saw because he had to work late and I didn't think to call and make sure he was there before I drove 30 minutes right after I had learnt I had just lost 180$. I could have saved another 20-25$ but I bought a 1300lph pump just in case my 500lph wasn't enough. (It should have been plenty, it has more head than the 1300lph does).

The 200$ is a guess, and believe me its a low end guess, it could be over 250$ after I add up all my hardware store reciepts, ebay purchases, online purchases, and forums purchases.

Here's what I needed to buy

20$ worth of adaptors/tubing on forums
25$ for heater core
10$ for wood
30$ for waterblock
00$ for a pump I owned
00$ for the propane torch I could have borrowed
10$ for the misc hardware to assemble my box unit
00$ for the fans and power supply I owned
10$ for the adaptors I had to buy at hardware stores
5$ for watter wetter
1$ for distilled water

111$ total is what it SHOULD have cost me.

10$ worth of clamps that are too damn small and splicers that I can't use off ebay.
12$ for a leaky rad off ebay
3$ for leakstopper that doesnt work
25$ for heater core
15$ for heater core (temp)
22$ for pump (unnecessary)
30$ for waterblock
10$ for wood
13$ for the torch I bought
9$ for water wetter
2$ for distilled water (They call it "Mineral free" instead and shape the bottle different and sell it at pep boys for 2 times as much)
As for the hardware store purchases, I'd guess in the 50-75$ range total, but once I finish and dig up all the reciepts we will see.

On the plus side. I will have an extra radiator, and pump and some spare tubing and clamps in case I ever want to set up a low end secondary system or a isolated Video cooling system. I also have a higher flowrate pump and A really really funny radiator box. Maybe once my new radiator gets here I will remake the box Using a harder wood than pine, with a table saw (we had one but the blade was so ****ty it just burnt up the wood), and with the right size screws (rather than resorting to nails cause I was too lazy to go back to the hardware store), and a planer and power sander. And maybe this new box will have a compartment for my power supply in it, and a place for the pump, and I'll wire the pump into the power supply so I dont need two extra power outlets, and I'll use an actual holesaw instead of a 1/4" drill bit and alot of drilling to make the fan holes, and a jigsaw instead of a 1/4" drillbit and alot of drilling to make the intake hole. And maybe pigs will fly out of my bum and start a new civilization that eventually wipes out mankind and creates a eutopia of Earth.

sounds like you may have learned something and you are a 1/3 of the way to your next water cooling rig (seems like a cheap reason to buy a new computer and water cool it too ;))

Damn, I'm laughing my a$$ off!! Only coz I can relate. Your second price list really got me. I'm afraid to make one myself, specially if the wife saw it. Please post some pics of your setup, I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting to see. I wish you would have done a worklog thread as you went 8)

peace.
unloaded

Sure, you ended up spending a lot this time around, but you also gained a lot of experience :D

i did the same thing tho i spent all the money on watercooling stuff i ran out when it came to getting new computer parts. and its not done yet but soon

Experience makes it all worth it though. My first watercooled system(which i've been runnning for 4 months) looks like this.......
fccc61d9.jpg

and the tubes run all the way down to my computer under my desk. :eek:

With the knowledge i've gained from this system, I'm creating a new water cooling system at a fraction of the cost that will perform many times better. Just remember that experience is everything.......you live and learn....

Last edited:
I can relate too!! Try ordering the wrong size tubing...done that before?? Cuz I gotta tell ya, this 10ft TYGON 3/8" sittin on my desk sure looks pretty next to the 1/2" TC4 and 1/4" Innovatek blocks (GF4&NB)!!!!!!!!!

I guess I should be comforted that I didn't buy two rads, at least :D

Cheers, mate :)

I did. I bought 3/8" ED when I need ID, then decided to go with 1/2" ID anyhow. I forgot to mention that. Luckily it was only a 5$ mistake, thanks to dirt cheep pricing on the forums.

And then there are the people who luck out and put together a system for 20 buks. Haha maybe next time i could do it for 15, who knows. OOOHHH pricelist hehe

4 1/2 barbs 8 dollars
5 feet tubing 4 dollars
2 pounds of copper 4 dollars
funky tube and barbs 8 dollars
pump 3 days looking around in my yard
rad 18 turns of a skrewdriver
fan from old 486 psu

The fact that i cant put it on my computer because my parents finaly clued into wut i am rly doing PRICELESS

Mikeonatrike said:
And then there are the people who luck out and put together a system for 20 buks. Haha maybe next time i could do it for 15, who knows. OOOHHH pricelist hehe

4 1/2 barbs 8 dollars
5 feet tubing 4 dollars
2 pounds of copper 4 dollars
funky tube and barbs 8 dollars
pump 3 days looking around in my yard
rad 18 turns of a skrewdriver
fan from old 486 psu

The fact that i cant put it on my computer because my parents finaly clued into wut i am rly doing PRICELESS

what kind of radiator did you get???

10$ worth of clamps that are too damn small and splicers that I can't use off ebay.
12$ for a leaky rad off ebay
3$ for leakstopper that doesnt work
25$ for heater core
15$ for heater core (temp)
22$ for pump (unnecessary)
30$ for waterblock
13$ for wood
13$ for the torch I bought
9$ for water wetter
2$ for distilled water
28$ for new 172mm fans (arrived IMMEDIATELY before I posted this)
13$ for grills (From a different place, different ship date, different speculated arrival time, Also arrived Immediately before I posted this, addint these parenthesis right after opening boxes.)
13$ for holesaws
67$ for misc hardware store trips

$295 total (I still have to buy plexi actually, so ~300$ pending.)

Images of special ed class project coming soon!

Man I have definately been there. The trip after trip to the hardware store, so many unforeseen problems. After it all the block cracked and I had to nuinstall it all anyways...lol. Oh well, that was my expirience. Re-installing this week with my free replacement TC-4 Rev. 2. (I had a Spir@l and it cracked)

Back