• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1gig of ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lersia

Registered
What will happen if I try to install windows 98 on my computer that has a gig of ram?..... Is it even possible?
:rolleyes:

It is possible to install Windows 98 on a system which has that much memory, however you will recieve 'memory errors' due to the way in which Windows 9x handles memory. The standard releases of Windows 9x ( 95, 98 ) and Millennium Editions (ME) of the Mircrosoft Windows Operating systems can handle 512 mb of ram without modification or problems. To exceed 512 mb of ram you must configure Windows using the following information.

The Windows 32-bit protected-mode cache driver (Vcache) determines the maximum cache size based on the amount of RAM that is present when Windows starts. Vcache then reserves enough memory addresses to permit it to access a cache of the maximum size so that it can increase the cache to that size if needed. These addresses are allocated in a range of virtual addresses from 0xC0000000 through 0xFFFFFFFF (3 to 4 gigabytes) known as the system arena.

On computers with large amounts of RAM, the maximum cache size can be large enough that Vcache consumes all of the addresses in the system arena, leaving no virtual memory addresses available for other functions such as opening an MS-DOS prompt (creating a new virtual machine).

To work around this problem, use one of the following methods:

* Use the MaxFileCache setting in the System.ini file to reduce the maximum amount of memory that Vcache uses to 512 megabytes (524,288 KB) or less.

* Use the System Configuration utility to limit the amount of memory that Windows uses to 512 megabytes (MB) or less.

* Reduce the amount of memory that is installed in your computer to 512 MB or less

Back