• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wuts the deal with bilge pumps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Bilge pumps are not made to run 24/7. They have more than one moging part and the motor compartment is not submerged. If any water gets into the motor compartment due to wearing seals your pump is shot. High psi isnt very important. A mag drive pump is somewhere around 2-5 PSI. The only reason you would want high PSI is for pumping long distances.

Liss said:
:(
damn..
cause there are alot of bilge pumps that have pretty good specs for an amazing price :(

I'll try and dig up the place I found with dirt cheep mag drive pumps. If I remember correctly they started around $7 for lower flow models. They also had Via Aqua for next to nothing.

Rio's pump? I heard they were piece of s***, i dont know if its true, but that is what i heard (read) in some hydroponic culture forum... anyone has one?

The Via's in the link are all submersible only models... Definately good specs for the price, though. They're probably smaller than the Via's we're used to as well.

Edit:
They have the 1300, but it's $17... still a good price

I run a bilge pump.
Pros: VERY CHEAP- I got mine for $5
long pump distance- I NEEED the distance bc my res is in a fridge 3 feet away from my rig.
runs of my psu- no need for a relay

cons: loud (just as loud as a fan when pumping hard)

so far its been plenty reliable for me- its been running 6mos. HOwever, i dont run my rig 24/7 so im usually nearby if its running- if it does break, i can pull the plug.

Iwaki - simply nothing much better short of moving to a turbine style pump, or even better again, a nylon-based gear pump.

All pretty extreme stuff though. You really want to have a waterblock designed to make use of the pressure which such pumps can provide, of which no block on the market currently does (and yes - that even includes my block which is not tuned to make the best out of high pressure pumps).

Back