• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volcano 7+ / P4 2.53ghz / P4PE question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mathesar

Volcano 7+ / P4 2.53ghz / P4PE ,High temp readings?

I recently replaced the retail heatsink/fan setup with a Volcano 7+ but havent been getting much lower temp readings ,in fact my Idle temp remains the same ,38-39C and Under load retail would hit 53C ,with Volcano 7+ its hits 47C at high fan rpm setting,or 57C at Low rpm setting(?!), I know your not suppose to use to much thermal compound but is it possible I didnt use ENOUGH? I put a dab of Arctic silver 3 on the cpu and spread a thin layer over it with a razor blade ,should I start over and use the white compound that came with the heatsink? any ideas would be appreciated!

CPU is a P4 2.53b @ 2.66ghz, using MBM5 to monitor temps,would like to attempt 3ghz once I figure out this cooling issue. (reason for buying the volcano 7)

After Install: http://home.attbi.com/~jrwhitton/images/P4_Volcano7_Plus.JPG

Last edited:
Hi there I'm using the same cooler right now and the biggest problem is that when you put the cooler on you have to make sure that the 4 corners of the plastic bracket on the motherboard is not getting caught under your cooler in the 4 corners what I did is cut the inner tips of that bracket or you may have to modify your 4 corners of your cooler and also cut off those little taps on the cooler under the bracket that clips to the bracket of the motherboard and all you need is a lite coat on your cpu of artic silver if you look closely you will see what I'm talking about let me know how you make out LOL

PIV [email protected] 160fsb
Volcano 7+ middle speed
P4B533-E
Corsair PC3500 CL2 512mb

I'd go to Arctic Silvers webpage and check the instructions, follow them exactly. Then don't run at Hi speed, at 6500 RPM its going so fast it pulls the hot air right back in. (unless you want to duct it) Then check to see if your boards BIOS is acually measuring correct temp. My P4PE reads temps about 7 - 10C higher than they actually are. My setup runs at ~33C idle on medium setting and about ~42C full load. Hope this helps.

PS you'll tire of HI speed fan verrrrry quickly anyways. Unless you like the sound of a 747 with an exhaust leak. I'm going to water cooling soon.

If you dont mind pulling the motherboard the plastic brakcet comes off easily. I've only used the 7+ in an AMD application but the fan never gets to a decent RPM. In the one I built I cut the thermistor out and just butt spliced the wires together and let the fan run full tilt all the time. Much better temps that way, but it was louder. You can also put a potentiometer in that line and then you would have a knob to adjust your fan speed.

Thanks for the replies , I had originaly followed instructions from arcticsilver's website but went ahead and redid it with a slightly thicker layer ,also the website mentions Arctic silver 3 requiring a "breakin period" of 72 - 100 hours ,its been 3 days and sure enough my temps dropped a bit ,using the Medium fan setting with my CPU successfully clocked 3ghz @ 1.55 vcore my idle temp is 37-38c and under full load 49-50C ,How would I tell if the board is reporting incorrect cpu temp? this seems to be a common complaint with the P4PE.

Last edited:
I checked mine by running asus probe and Motherboard Monitor 5 at the same time to cross reference, then I used my temp probe from my hardcano 7 and slid it between the fins of the heatsink to above the core and read a difference of 10C and then guessed that the heatsink might allow for 3C cooling from where the probe was to the core. 10 - 3C = 7C so i set mobo monitor to offset by 7C and thats close enough for me.

Others have used a similar method to gauge the variation on the the temp reading, but with one important difference. I would venture that attaching it to the fins on the top of the heatink would be a very poor place to take a reading as there is air flowing across that spot constantly. The others that I have seen are takng their temp reading from the bottom of the CPU or attached to the side of the core. The air movement over the top of the thermistor would certainly be enough to make a substantial change in your reading.

Of course this all assumes I understood you right. I took your mounting explanation to mean that you had the thermistor on top of the heatsink in between the fins. If this isnt the case pretty much ignore this all :)

The Volcano 7+ has a channel that runs down the centre of the heat sink, placing the thermistor between the two banks of fins leaves about 1/4 inch of copper btwn thermistor and CPU. This is the quickest and easiest way to get a rough idea. I held the thermistor in place with a straw.

Back