• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4PE "SMART Failure predicted" on bootup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mathesar

Whenever I power up I get a 'Smart Failure Predicted on primary slave,back up data immediatly' etc. on my Maxtor 40GB drive (slaved) ,I ran a full scandisk and didnt find any bad sectors ,the drive doesnt make any wierd noises in fact its even more silent than my 80GB Master HD (also a Maxtor) I have all a lot of games installed on this drive but nothing i cant replace , is it possible the bios is giving false readings being it says "Predicted" ..the Smart option is disabled in bios so I assume I cant do anything about this ,Have to hit F1 to skip the message everytime .....should I just trust bios and replace the drive? Thanks.

everything mechanical fails eventually. One should do backups of irreplaceable files routinely (I should listen to my own advise).
I, however, wouldn't run SMART crap on my HDs, and I don't. Maybe a lifesaver for a server, but as you already have seen: it can be a paranoid function.
MOST importantly is that it hampers HD perfromance. This is a OCing forum, and performance is the point... but it's hard to perform when your HD won't work.

Actualy it still shows the Smart failure message regardless if its enabled / disabled in BIOS ..in fact I never had it enabled especialy after reading the manual's warning on system resources being used with it..oh well I was wanting to get one of those newer 8MB Cache HD's anyhow =/

Back