• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Decent KDE themes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n_ick2000

I am looking for some good kde themes. So far, I have looked at kdelook.org and freshmeat.net. But the lack of themes is amazing. On freshmeat, the current count for kde 3 themes: 7. that's it. I am currently using a pretty nice Kde2 theme called Dark and Cloudy. I'm not sure if the KDE 1 themes will still even work with KDE 3 so I haven't even tried those at all.

So, where are all the themes? Am I missing something?

I kind of figured that part out. After I posted, I spent some time making it look semi-decent. First, I changed the window decoration to icevm and got some good themes. Then got some color schemes and new icons. Looks acceptable now.

There is one thing I cannot figure out how to do though. How to do I get GTK themes working. I want to get some cool window styles (different than window decoration and themes) and from what I've heard, all you have to do is go to the kde control center > look and feel > style > and click the "import gtk theme" button. Well, there is no import theme button. Anyone know what to do?

I don't use KDE so I don't know about the GTK themes part.

If you're trying to get a cool looking desktop why don't you use a manager that was built with looking cool in mind. I think gnome is the coolest looking desktop available.

I played with gnome for a little bit. I just don't like the interface as much as KDE. I agree though, Gnome looks very nice.

KDE is very newbie friendly. GNOME is also feature rich. I'll have to try gnome out some more next time I fire up Knoppix. Gnome allows you to use the KDE3 tools/menu in Knoppix.

Edit: GNOME keeps crashing and fails to load applet in knoppix. It's back to KDE3 default until the next version of knoppix or a permanent Linux installation. :(

Last edited:
Back