• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Look at my new rad!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shroomer

member with no avatar
It has begun... I got my new Full tower matrix. And here is my newest addition...

fordtruck.jpg

It's from a Ford F series truck ($18 @ autozone). Here are some fedco numbers to check out if you like it... They are all about the same.

2-220
2-242
2-221

So far it's passed the "blow test" for leaks. The guys said that if I wanted to return it I could anytime I wanted as long as I hadn't modified it. I plan to mount it Dodgeviper's (and I'm sure other's) way.

Are you planning on using 2 fans? I was thinking you were gonna mount the heatercore to the case and use only one fan. I see it now though. It looks almost exactly the same.

Yeah, it should be nice. I like the fact that it goes straight in one of the tanks. The 90 on the other tank is much more mild than it looks. Pluss it's 5/8" pipe. I'm hoping for the best.

I doubt my work will look as nice as his, though. I don't have THAT much patience.

Nice looking core ya got there. About your PM, I feel funny reporting temps I'm getting. The reason being, I have no way of knowing their accuracy. Also since my cpu/mb/ram are all new, I can't even do before and after comparison. With that in mind my cpu is being reported as 36C and case temp 28C. That is with the fan on rad and the top exhaust fan running at 7v. I haven't added the rear exhaust fan yet, but I'm pretty sure it will help. If I turn the top fan to 9v i get a 1C drop and at 12v i get 2C more for total of 3C less than 7v. I leave em slow tho as I dont like the noise. I think the 120mm fan is drawing in more air than is being exhausted creating a positive pressure in my case. One other thing to mention is I have 3/8" fitting thruout my system (except for the bleeder T which is 1/2"). I hope this answers your questions. Personally, if you have room for the one you've got, you should use it. Being bigger it should do better also it's much cheaper.

peace.
unloaded

looks just like the d-tek one, they plug the one hole and drill another and screw the barbs in..

There are MANY that fit this size description. A lot of fords and a few GM's and dodge. 6 x 6 1/8

well hey what are its dimensions? i like that core and i think ill look into it for 18 dollars however i may be taking a trip to the junkyard tuesday...

Go Here And type in the dimensions you want. I always do 6 min 7 max on L&W and 2 on depth.

This wil give you a Fedco heater core name. Print out that page (probably a few of the ones you like) and take it to the store (autozone) and they will be able to reference it to their brand.

I bow before the people who wrote the above site... The old way of doing this research was VERY time consuming!

By the way... If you have little room, the Chevy Luv Truck heater core is quite small (under 5x5 I think). It is rather pricy, though (around $40).

Good luck... I think the Chevy Chevette Heater core is $16 and is the same core size.

Yes, I've tried there too. They were more expensive on almost every one I had him price. If you have an autozone, definately check it out! They have the best prices on their stuff.

You can price what you are looking for on autozone.com... It'll even tell you if it's likely that they'll have it in stock. The only way I know to do it, though is to find out the vehicle it came out of. This is not as easy as it sounds. Some of the Fedco references are kinda vauge and overlap... Just check out the Ford F100-500 page!

Thats the exact same core i got, only I got the copper one for 21. The brass one was 18, but i figured what the heck.....3 bux isn't going to hurt much. Just cut off the barbs and gooped on new ones. Beats paying the price for the chevette heatercore.

...I just don't understand. It's not the price of the chevette heatercore, it's where you priced it. All are around $20 at autozone.

Anyway, the only expensive ones I've seen are the imports.

true, but neither advanced auto, autozone, pep boys, napa, or any other local place carried them in stock

I ordered one from autozone, got it 3 business days later. Now I just need to barb it and make my shroud for it and mount it.

How are you going to make your shroud? I still haven't decided. I might have to get ahold of DodgeViper and see how much he charges. I'd really prefer to make it on my own though. My main problem is my lack of tools and work space. I was thinking of making a mold like his and then using fiberglass, but I don't really have experience with that either. Cardboard is definately not an option... This time around it will be done right or not at all.

Thanks for the Autozone tip. Often, it seems that when I price some radiator that someone else boasts as costing $20-25, it always comes back as costing $45.00 or so.

I checked autozone for that core shown in the first post and sure enough, though there is only one autozone in my area, it just so happens that it is just down the road from where I work. Add to that convenience, the fact that the core is only $17.99 really restores my faith in other peoples buying experience. They sure as heck aren't that cheap at Checker or Champion, the two prevailing auto chain stores in my area. I'll be picking one up on my lunch break to serve as a spare and also a form to design my next shroud system around.

Hoot

Back