• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CD/IDE problems on P4PE? ... Total Newbie here :p

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JohnnyTheRed

I just got in all the parts for my very first system built by myself.

Only problem I've been having so far is with my CD drive(s). I have one HD, one CD-RW, and one CD-ROM. I would like all three setup together, and as far as I remember it would look like this: HD set to Master on IDE1. CD-RW set to Master and CD-ROM set to Slave on IDE2.

However, regardless of how I set them up, despite all of the combonations, I cannot get Windows to recognize either of the CD Drives.

When booting up, it recognizes the CD-ROM drive ( I don't think it recognizes the CD-ROM drive, but that doesn't matter now), but once I get loaded into Windows, I cannot see the CD drive on the computer.

BIOS is the newest one (1002).

I have tried every combo possible, with respect to cables, placement on cable, IDE1/2, jumpers, etc. So I'm looking for answers taht might include driver problems, or such.....

I was just going to switch in the HD that I've been using in my old comp, that shouldn't be a problem, should it? Do I need to reformat it first? If so, how do I install an OS without a CD drive :/

Thanks so very much in advance for your time, information, and most of all patience.

if I hear you right, just let the mobo do it for you....

in the bios just set it on "auto".

I hope this helps.

mica

Last edited:
I wish it was like that...

I've checked the settings in the BIOS too, and no matter what I change in there, whether I keep it on Auto, or set it to CD-ROM, Windows will not see it. But the BIOS does see it.

I'm stumped, and it's probably some dumb reason I keep overlooking.

Guess I'll just have to wait until tomorrow to call Asus tech support :/

*New Info*

Hate to keep this going, but...

Just bought a new CD-RW (both of the other ones I have can't be broken, but I needed a newer/faster one anyway :p ) I install it, and boot up comp.

Go into BIOS to make sure it sees it, sure enough under Secondary IDE Master it shows Samsung CDRW. Check it in Boot options and the third device to boot is the Samsung CDRW. Continue letting it boot, and listed in the IDE devices under Secondary Master is Samsung CDRW.

Get into Windows, open my computer, I see the A Drive, the C Drive, but no D/E drive !!!

Hrmm.....anyone know whats up, or do I have to wait til tomorrow to call Asus up :/

Thanks again

Just wondering, but did you reformat/reinstall when you installed the new motherboard? Or at least after you installed the motherboard drivers do a repair or reinstall?

If not, try that.

No I didn't reformat/reinstall, but if I did, assuming there's a problem with the CD still, how would I be able to reinstall an OS? :/

Make sure the cables are connected right. The red mark should face the power. I had the same problem but when I made the DVD the salve for the CD Burner on IDE2 and kept the hard drive on IDE1 alone, it worked. Good Luck!

Mike

I wish it were as easy as a backwards cable, but there's nothing wrong with the setup. I'll heopfully find out whats wrong soon...if I ever get throught to a rep at Asus' Tech Service Dept. :/

I don't know how many people they have working in there tech service dept...or how they have things set up....or what's going on over there, but I've been calling them all day...I wait on the phone for half an hour then some guy comes on and tells me that all the staff is with a caller, if I'd like to leave my name and number they'll get back to me.

After countless phone calls, spanning over the course of the day, and 5 messages, I still have yet to tell anyone my problem. Two emails have gone unanswered as well.

I just want my god damn comuter up and running; it's not a setup problem, it's gotta have something to do with drivers, or some stupid s*** like that. GRRRR.

Blah

/end rant

Have you tried the latest "intel application accelerator?" That governs some chipset IDE functions, so I'd install that. I think you have an intel chipset in that board? If not, SiS and Via have similar applications--check their website for something like 4 in one drivers or some such thing.

Can you boot from a CD drive w/o crash? If so, then I'm guessing you're right and it's some kind of driver thing.

Another thing you might try is deleting all the IDE devices and controllers in device manager and having it redetect. Also, make sure you're not overclocking yet (until your system is stable). That will sometimes cause funky issues like this. You might also try your BIOS's "fail safe" settings and see if that helps.

When I said try a reformat or a reinstall, since the bios recognizes the cdrom, it should boot from the cd. From their, you can do an OS repair.

That Intel Application Accelerator is a good idea, but it comes on the Asus disk. I think you can d/l it from intel though. That might actually fix it. I would try that first.

Second, I would try the OS repair.

If that still doesn't work, make sure the bios recognizes the cdrom, then do a reformat/reinstall.

Personally, when I get a new motherboard, I reformat/reinstall. It is easier when your OS is on its own partition. That way you don't lose any needed files.

Hopes that helps. It is just what I would try first.

I had a similar problem with an Asus P2B where the CD-ROM attached to the secondary IDE channel would not be recognized by Windows after the OS install. Going into Device Manager and checking System Properties would show a screaming yellow exclamation mark next to the secondary IDE controller. Since the CD-ROM was connected to the secondary controller, no CD-ROM would show up by the OS. I solved this by disconnecting the CD-ROM and letting the comp boot up with only the HD connected. Going into System Properties again showed no device conflicts. After shutting down I re-connected the CD-ROM, booted, and experienced NO problems after that.

I did not experience this problem on my P4PE, but this is exactly the problem you are describing with both of your optical drives on the secondary channel. I believe it also has a lot to do with what version of Windows you are trying to load, be it Win 98 or Win ME or Win 2k. Give this a shot, what do you have to lose?

Back