• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

honeycomb type wb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

warenb

my dad used to work for an aircraft company and he brought a little 2x2x3" block of cardboard that was in a shape of a honeycomb and i was looking at it last night and got an idea, what if u could make a wb that used a similar design, like having holes on the top and on the side. like if i took a block of copper and sliced it to get some fins, then have horizontal slats on it and make it so i get a zig-zag thing like a dangerden maze w/b on the bottom. its quite hard to imagine/draw and even harder to explain. neone have a clue to what ime talking about??

no. sounds really cool though... my uncle works for nasa and he showed me a peice of that stuff, its honeycome is made of aluminum and the outside is some kind of polycarbonate (black) its really light, but amazingly strong. they use it in satilites. anyway, that honeycome idea could be really useful in WB design, if you have the time, why dont you try to make up a little picture?

sorta, but the water would be able to go from one layer to another. imagine taking a bunch of wire and cris-cross them in a 3D +, but they fit inside of the round channel and are about .5mm or so in thickness.

something like this but in the middle of the plus there is a line thats parralell to your point of veiw, and the - or | parts of the plus arent flat and coming toward you, they are the lets say "wire" that goes left and right, and up and down. (dots are for spacing issues on this page)

..+++
.++++
..+++

wow thats confusing....i hope you don't work for that aircraft company or we will all crash and burn for sure....heh

basicly fins with crossfins?
+++++ <--like that awesome drawing I just did?

*edit* I just noticed you drew the same picture in an above post :p

I think I get what your saying

I don't get how this is a honeycomb structure? Maybe they ought to have included a few more characters in the ASCII set for drawing honeycomb! ;)

dude you need a picture.... is it anything like #rotors blocks? look in the gallery...

I've been working on a "capillary" type block design for some time. Unfortunately, too many irons in the fire to bring it to test phase right now. It is something you do for the sake of curiousity since it is very drill labor intensive and accuracy demanding versus a simpler but equally effective design like a white water or pin sink.

Hoot

I must admit I've thought about "capillary" designs myself and put them off for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Potentially, they could be very efficient though - lots of surface area...

Not exactly the approach I was taking. Those Core units have been out since the Aluminum heatsink was still king. In calendar time, not all that long ago, but in terms of heatsink evolution, eons ago.

The Core has all the holes interconnected, but my capillary design has lots of discreet tunnels fron entry to exit. The drawing is at work, or else I would post it for dissection.

Hoot

Sounds very similar to the design I use in the =EQ=. There are two layers of tunnels, each of which get their flow at a common center point.

Here is a sketch of the layout. Yellow is the lowest passage level, orange next and dark is the thickest copper portions. Also refer to pics in sticky for views of the block.

1359186.jpg

I could not ftp from work to my picture storage account, so I brought my capillary block concept drawings home with me and here they are.

As you view them, keep in mind that the drawings are 2.5X normal size. Don't let the scale fool you, this is tough drilling tolerance. The tunnel size chosen was 1/16 inch and the number of them (34) was no mistake. Their combined volume is very close to the volume of a 1/2 inch OD barb. I could have drawn them to scale, but too many details got absorbed.

There is a lot of surface area represented by these tunnels, with the expected friction inherent in so much surface area, so flow resistance may be an issue.

Feel free to dissect the concept, aside from the obvious issue of the touch labor intensity :D

Hoot

cap1.gif

cap2.gif

cap3.gif

Back