• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

256Mb 400Mhz or 512 333Mhz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

s[H]sIkuA

I wanted to build a new system soon but my budget limit me on the ram

so what I should get , a 256 Corsair PC3200 for about $87 (much more expensive in my local store) or a 512 mb Kingston PC2700 for about $120+

oh yeah, I will be using AMD system which would be unlock (want to get as high as 200FSB )

I have heard someone get pass 400+ Mhz with Kingston but I am not sure which one to choose

On the other hand , Corsair seems promising but I have to sacrifise 256ram which I think will be wasting my memory slot

Please Help me to choose!

pko/c , the extra 256 does nothing ?? I am really paranoid if I force to use 256 and if i need upgrade sooner , I will probly upgrade with a 256 stick cause I dont like a 256+512 , weird huh?? :)

but I dont want to miss out the extra fsb those Althon can give me :(

This is a tough call because its always nice to have 512MB, especially with an OS like WinXP. I would get the Corsair because I seriously doubt the Kingston will get anywhere near 200 MHz FSB. Then later, when you have the money you can always buy a second stick of the Corsair.

i am deciding between this exact same thing too. small world:D
i wish i woulda got the kingston back when winbond chips were a sure thing,but now you most likely arent going to get them. i think im going with 256mb of corsair

i say get the 256 of corsair then add to that when you get the cash. if i were you though i would rethink my system to see where i could shave some dollars to get the full 512 of corsair. if your overclocking you may do better to get a lower rated processor that's a good overclocker like an agoia 1600 or a 1700 t-bred

emericanchaos said:
i say get the 256 of corsair then add to that when you get the cash. if i were you though i would rethink my system to see where i could shave some dollars to get the full 512 of corsair. if your overclocking you may do better to get a lower rated processor that's a good overclocker like an agoia 1600 or a 1700 t-bred
i cant really save any money by buying lower rated stuff ,well at least not enough to get me the extra $ for 512. maybe ill just order 512 and get a job and pay my mommy back.

i dont do video editting or anything like that and i rarely run out of ram using 256mb with winxp. if your planning to overclock definetly go with the corsair.

thanks for the reply !! :)

anyway , I know 512 Corsair sounds appealing for many of us , but for me it is $180+ thats the most expensive stuff i ll have to buy , definately broke my bank :(

256 Corsair seems nice but If i add 512 later will it looks weird?? :D

512 Kingston , from Intel forum ... Maxvla and Larva are those two who can get 434 Agressive timing with that Ram , wonder if all can go as high as that

and oh , i will using XP Pro and Playing games(definately not the newest like Doom3,UT2003.. my gpu will be radeon 8500 :( )

or can anyone point out any alternative cheaper than corsair ram that can reach 400Mhz with those pc2700??

btw , looks like i am going to get Corsair ... cant live without O/C :D :D

s[H]sIkuA said:
btw , looks like i am going to get Corsair ... cant live without O/C :D :D [/B]
Look at it this way .... you may pay abit more now , but it will be well worth it , in speed , reliability and customer service. As we all know too , Corsair is GUARANTEED to do its rated speed or they'll take it back/exchange with NO hassle ! :D Also remember 1 stick of memory OC's better than 2 sticks (not by much though in my own experiance ) . Get the 512 of Corsair if you can . My.02 ;) :D

Last edited:
I dont have the money!!! :(
even I choose to have 1600+ over 1800+ and lower my hard disk it is still so expensive :(

can u borrow me $50 ?? :D :D

neah ,looks like I have to work for a month to get the money for 512 :( or just let my mom pay for the 256 :)

I would get the cosair if your into overclocking and the kingston if your not. Remember, you can always add more later on. Both are good brands with life time warrenty

BAsically...MY Wonbond PC2700 512MB DDR (1 Stick) will run @3200 with most agressive setting/2CAS,2,5,2, Ultra Command with only +0.1%VC increase. It was reasonable too. I got it for £105 brand new :) altho on my current mobo...it seems to be not running @ max speed and i dunno y (take alook at l8est new thread)

s[H]sIkuA said:
can u borrow me $50 ?? :D :D

neah ,looks like I have to work for a month to get the money for 512 :( or just let my mom pay for the 256 :)
512mb of corsair is only $166 dollars now at www.googlegear.com . im still trying to decide wether to get 512 or 256. i wouldnt get the kingston unless you can make sure you will either get winbond or kingston branded chips b/c most are getting infenion(sp?) which dont overclock too well

I have 256MB :( and it definately is NOT enough for WinXP Pro, and if you plan on doing gaming, then you definately need 512MB. Fortunately, I am getting another 256MB stick soon.

Back