• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Huh? My RK-Byte generic DDR dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i810 Forever

I posted last week about how I picked up a stick with 6.5ns TMTc chips labeled "PC-2400", sold as RK-Byte (Reptron).

The first day I installed it, it ran @ 155Mhz, 2.6v, CAS2 without a hitch.

The second day, I was getting BSOD's (and this is in XP) in Medal of Honor and Prime 95, so I backed it down to 150Mhz, worst CAS settings available on my board. It was still BSOD'ing.

I dropped it down to 133Mhz, CAS2. BSOD'ing still.

Now it's at 133Mhz, worst timings available and it appears stable except for the cold boots. Yesterday It took me 4 tries to get my machine going.

The first 3 times I started it my monitor gave me a "no video" (no POST) error- ala the same thing thats happened to me with dead CPUs and other components. On the Epox debug LED I got a C1 error- which from reading around the boards is a memory problem. On the fourth restart it POSTed finally, but the BIOS gave me an error "Hardware could not run at those frequencies" or something along those lines, and it set the RAM to 100Mhz, and my XP1700+ to 1100Mhz. :(

I think I just got a weak stick- it can't even do 133Mhz! :eek:
And it failed slowly in a matter of days, I kept backing the speed & CAS settings down and could run for a little while until it BSOD'd constantly, had to back it down again till it BSOD'd, and on and on..

The stick SHOULD at least be able to do 133Mhz w/o boot issues or anything, correct?

correct. if u just bought it lately, i suggest a replacement. how many volts have been running on that stick? looks like overclocking killed it.

spazzkid said:
correct. if u just bought it lately, i suggest a replacement. how many volts have been running on that stick? looks like overclocking killed it.

The max I ran the stick at was 2.6v, since I was running my Corsair at the same voltage before I RMA'd it. I ran 2.6v the entire time I had it (from when I ran the RK-Byte all day at 155Mhz, CAS2, through when it even started deteriorating).

For a replacement I have the options of another stick of RK-Byte with Elixir chips, or a stick of PNY with Mosel Vitelic 7ns chips.

Back