• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Well I guess I can show you my new block :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

morphling1

Well after about 2 months of perfecting my machining methods and optimizing my desing in theory, and then making different prototypes of slightly different dimensions of 1. fin height 2. base thickness and 3. fin width. As for inlet opening I made it for normal aquarium pumps with aprox 1.5 m of head. I can almost say that I have final design of the block, I need to try two more changes. I did play with only 1mm thin base, but it wasn't as good as 1.5mm on tbred core cpu. aprox 1-2 °C higher load temps. performanse of the block is very good. On a palomino core cpu @1980 MHz @ 2.15V and water temp of 20°C my folding load temps are ~ 33°C measured by 8k3a (on die diode).
Anyway here are the pics.

Picture%20004.jpg

Picture%20005.jpg

Picture%20031.jpg

Picture%20016.jpg

Block was tested under 4 bars of water preasure for 5 hours and o-ring sealed perfectly.

Here is another version of my block in action

Picture%20034.jpg

oh wow! thats really nice!
Are you using some form of a jet in there? I know you started or think you started on this before cathars block was released rite? Also, theres some dude at proforums who is drawing up the same thing as this, you might want to show him this;)

do you know if the offcenter thing is really a big deal or not? I am wondering if it does or does not make a difference, Do you know? I see you have yours centered directly over the die.

-edit- Also, what size are those channels? and the fins?

Nice looking job. The plexi looks pretty stout too. Does the threaded inlet go all the way thru or is there some type of nozzle cut on bottom? You mentioned maybe making a few changes, are they top-secret? What size tubing are you using with those fittings?

peace.
unloaded

Looks Good. How much improvement are you seeing over your other blocks? I take it that those channels are cut with a slitsaw blade. I'm guessing 1/32" wide channels. It seems like your using homemade adapters (stiff tube) for the fittings, then 3/8" hose, or is that 1/2" hose?

giblet, that isnt the jet, that is only to spread the flow evenly to the outter fins I beleve,
I recall him using 1/2inch OD tubing for the little fittings and 1/2inch ID silicone tubing around those

Thanks everybody
First the inlet, it's not the nozzle like it should be designed, but the cross section does reduce and so the water velocity is greatly improved when hitting the fins, also "nozzle" is sharp edged but it is reduced from 11.5mm diameter at angle so preasure drop is lesser. Off center for my measuring capabilities doesn't realy show much difference but there is some.
In those fitting plug in 4cm of stiff 12mm OD, 10mm ID hose, and on the end of that hose I connected 1/2" silicon hose, so every time I take the block of I just push in that blue ring and pull the silcon hose together with stiff one, very simple and quick way to take everything apart and I do that a lot :)
The changes I'm talking about is in trying one more base thickeness and few more models with different fin height and thickeness to see if I can improve anything.
Improvement over my previous block is more then 5°C or to put it in MHz more than 50 MHz, and I don't think my previos block was underdog.

Nice craftsmanship:D
The only difference in concept I see here from Cathar's is the single outlet vs. the dual outlet. I'm sure the proportions are different also though but I was just thinking in terms of concept. A head to head comparison would be really cool.

Yeah, looks like a very nice block! May I ask how you manage to produce such tiny fins? Professional equipment?

I use classic desktop mill with custom made tool holder for hss cutting blade. It's not about equipement it's how you use it :D
And when I finish it I will send it to Bill, so this one will be compared to all sent blocks.

you should grab a 4-5mm peice of poly and mill a 3mm wide jet to span across the fins, then the outlet hole, and clamp that in there, give a jet a try

that will give you a basic idea on how good they can be:)

I don't need that, I already have 2.5 and 2 mm wide "nozzle" opening in the top, and the transition from circle to nozzle iz nicer then if I would just use middle plate and top separate.
I have different tops to play with no problem there

Back