• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Koolance EXOS Performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zoom

Registered
I recently purchased a Koolance EXOS water cooling solution for my PC. Yes, I know I could have probably built it for less or got better performance from other solutions, however I choose this kit for it's simplicity for installation. I'm new to water cooling and OCing in general, so this was a good way for me to get into it..

I've installed the entire system however I'm wondering what I should expect for a CPU temp when idle or under load? If anyone else has experience with the EXOS please let me know if these are the temps I should expect.

Currently I'm just running stock settings.. Load temp was tested using Prime95 for 24hrs..

AMD XP 2000+ Palamino Core (Y series stepping)
512 PC3500EL OCZ DDR RAM
Koolance EXO ( CPU-200 Water Block & GPU Block)

Idle Temp: 43C
Load Temp: 48C

What's the ambient temp?

Those temps aren't bad, but they're not good either.:eh?:

Hey I just installed a water cooling system...not the expos....but my temps are 32C idel and 38C load....you probally should have made a system....I was gonna get a kit, bc this was my first time...but alll of these fine individuals on the water cooling forums talked me into it....

My ambient temp isn't that high maybe 25C. I suspect that the block isn't making a good connection to the CPU therefore it's not getting the best heat transfer. I'm going to pull the block off and try setting it again. I should point out that the reading on the EXOS (27-30C idle) is way off ( as reported in reviews ) due to the temp probes placement.

Obiviously other factors might be the tubing (EXOS only uses 1/4"). Plus I don't know the GPH on the pumps.. All in all I still should be lower than 43C regardless.

After thinking about it I'm pretty sure I know why my temps are higher than they should be. When I installed the waterblock I also put a shim on the CPU to protect it. The shim might be the cause of the problem.. I'll remove it and try again..

Well, I'm happy to say the shim was the problem.. After removing the shim and mounting the water block again my temps have dropped..

CPU idle now: 34C
CPU Load: 38C

Next step, OCing it :)

Nice that you were able to figure it out. I was really critical about the EXOS when I heard about it, but it is nice that it performs pretty well for a retail type unit.

ATLPIMP said:
What's the ambient temp?

Those temps aren't bad, but they're not good either.:eh?:

Hey ATLPIMP, i saw that watercool pic of yours! Could you give me information on where u got all the watercooling parts for the top pic of you PC at http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showt...hreadid=138275.
I have the same exact case and I would like to use that type of water cooling as well. About how much did you have to spend? I need to know where to get the best of everything and what to get. Thanks in advance.

Back