• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nforce2 dual DDR and OCing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

emericanchaos

ok i have a contradiction. not sure if this is better in here or in the motherboard category but here goes.

running dual DDR recquires 2 DIMMs. 2 DIMMs increases the chances of being lmited by inferior memory. so if i were to get say an asus a7n8x and run dual corsair XMS 3200C2's how much of a risk is there that i would be limited in an OC by a running dual DDR as apposed to a single stick?

in other words how overclockable is dual DDR?

I would go with dual sticks- corsair has pretty good qc- you may lose a few mhz of fsb by going dual, but that would probably be offset by the performance increase.
anyways thats my .o2

When I ran 2 stick of pc 2500 xms corsair I could get the ram stable at 196x2 at 2-3-3-7 with stock voltage to the ram, and with 3 sticks I could only run 194 instead on the same timings except cl2.5.... and I am running a a7n8x asus.

Accurate said:
When I ran 2 stick of pc 2500 xms corsair I could get the ram stable at 196x2 at 2-3-3-7 with stock voltage to the ram, and with 3 sticks I could only run 194 instead on the same timings except cl2.5.... and I am running a a7n8x asus.

fsb is in the 190's? SOLD! dual DDR here i come.

well i think that you should better have those fews mhz from the fsb cuz dual channel for amd is useless, you need as much fsb as you can have

dude, dual channel is NOT useless on an AMD plaform, why do people keep saying this? The whole point of dual channel is NOT for the bandwidth, its the fact that you have two separate memory controllers. the performance boost might not be huge, but there is a performance boost with dual channel.

it can be useless.

it gives you about a 400point increase in 3dmark.

what this means, is that if you have a 512mb stick of ram, do not get 2 256 (or another 512), unless you are rich or have money to spare

or, if you are building a completly new system, go for it. it will give you a nice small boost in speed

Back