• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noise/air deflector?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aggieeng

I'm not sure for the "proper" name for my idea but in my rig my radiator is at the top of my case in an acrylic box I made which has the radiator at one end and the fan at the other with the pump in between. The box is airtight so the fan pulls air through the rad...the only thing is...the noise from air being pulled through the radiator is fricken loud...I was thinking...what if I used like some dryer hose or something and attached it to the front of my radiator then ran the opening somehwere where it wouldn't be as loud...like down to the floor...that way it'll be away from my ears as well as be pulling up the coldest air in the room...just an idea...lemme know what you guys think...

Just a thought you could put a air filter in front of it. That should cut down the noise some.

Have you experimented with monitoring the water temperature while varying the fan speed to determine the best fan speed compromise between water temperature and noise. Perhaps you can turn down the speed and reduce the noise. In my system I use a pair of fans in a push-pull sandwich. With the fans assisting each others effectiveness, I have found I can turn down their speed considerably and hence the noise and only give up about 1C water temperature. For any given setup, there is a sweet spot of fan effectiveness versus speed and consequently noise. Running full blast is not the only solution.

Hoot

Back