• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stuck @ 180 FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elite

I have Geil PC3200. My mobo is an asus-a7n8x so i know that is not the problem. Is it my memory? i am getting terrible scores in sisoft sandra like around 2,400. I am stuck @ 180 fsb with this memory or is it not the memory? i am going to get new memory any suggestions? im going for pc3500 this time.

well, before you can blame the mem you need to try lowering your multi very low and relaxing all the ram timings, then trying to up the fsb more. if it still won't go over 180 it could be the memory, but it could also be the mobo. seems most of the nf2 mobo's have problems with the northbridge overheating at high fsb, though most can get over 200 before that becomes a problem. some ppl have had success by simply putting a small, like 40mm, fan on top of the nb heatsink.

First, how many sticks? Second if you have 2, try 1 at a time and see how far you go. Third, it 'could' be the memory but it may not be. The chipset voltage on the NF2 chipsets is kind of low, 8RDA+ owners found a way (by modding) to raise the VDD (chipset) voltage and bam, 220 - 240 FSB is possible with 3200 ram. I have tried OCZ EL 3500, Corsair 3500C2, Mushkin 3000, TwinMos 3200 and they all crap out on me at anything over 200FSB sync, dual channel. The reason is the VDD voltage, on some boards it could be less and on some more, this is why some can run fairly high FSB and some not. If you have some good ram you can borrow to try, that would be your best bet. If you DO want to buy new ram anyway, I highly suggest TwinMos with the 5ns Winbond chips, this stuff runs tigher than any memory I've tried. It is $76 for a 256MB stick from www.memoryx.com do a search for "Twinmos". Also call them to confirm they are Winbond chips, you do NOT want Samsung.

LOL but i dont get why i am stuck here? cause i can run it perfectly stable. When i o/c to about 190 i dont get a post i just get a short beep every 5 sec. Should i up the vcore on my cpu? my DDr voltage is all the way up. default for my 2700+ is 1.66 im @ 1.73 w/ 180 fsb how high yet safe should i go with the vcore? And my 2700+ is a T-Bred should i try to lower the multiplier? Does the A7N8X think my cpu is unlocked or do i have to do something to it? Upgrage bios possibly?

if you or someone else didnt unlock it then its not unlocked? what is your current vcore? if your not over 2.0 volts then i wouldnt be worried. oh i see your vcore. i would definately up your vcore.

Umm i thought all T-Breds come Factory Unlocked is this not true?

someone PLEASE correct me if im wrong but i have always thought the the tbreds were in fact the hardest to unlock because of the deep laser cut channels between the L1 contacts.

The a7n8x should unlock it for ya. I highly doubt memory is your problem. as was suggested up your vcore and lower your mult. Make sure memory speed is set to sync and verify that agp is set to 66.

you shouldn't have to do anything the new b versions of the t-bred come factory unlocked. no laser cuts or anything! just set on the board adjust multipliers to what you whant and go!

i have a 2600+ running 11x200@2200mhz didn't do anything but plug it in!;)

hmm it is unlocked but anything under 13x multiplier won't boot. 14x and 15x will but no 12 and lower. Right now im @ 166x14x seems very stable.

Elite said:
hmm it is unlocked but anything under 13x multiplier won't boot. 14x and 15x will but no 12 and lower. Right now im @ 166x14x seems very stable.

unlock is not, if you haven't manually unlock it, it will not be unlock, and if you don't do manually and don't install the latest beta bios, it will be lock because the bios will not be able to unlock it,

just because you see all the multipliers, that doesn't mean they will work, it was that way with other chip sets, what you see is what you get, not with nforce.

best solution: get the latest beta bios and that will force the multipliers that you select from bios;)

it has the n-force 2 chipset from nvidia and has locked pci and agp busses for max oclocking.

they are said to be able to run the new t-bread cpu's 2600+ and up, WITHOUT HAVEING TO UNLOCK THEM! just like the via kt 400 witch i have does.

there are no laser cuts on any of the L1 bridges and no laser cut on the 5th L3 bridge of the new 2600+ and up t-breads, because they come from amd unlocked! i have a 2600+. and no mod was needed to reach any of the multies.

Last edited:
no, they can unlock, I have tested it, 2400+ and up, others had reported even 2200+'s and others:D

A78NX=ASUS BOARD WITH THE NFORCE2 CHIP ON;)

Elite said:

i have an honest question Elite. You have a sweet system, why would you cheap out and buy Geil memory? As has been said, it's not right to go and blame the memory right off, but it's a real strong possibilty...

Back