• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Baking soda

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiTrO bOiE

Does anyone use baking soda in their water cooling? I did a project on the effects of baking soda in water and the temps. The baking soda makes the water resist heating up quicker than water without baking soda. Also would adding it erode the tubing, and the copper waterblocks?

Wouldn't makeing the water "resist heating up quicker" mean that the heat was staying in the block/CPU instead of in the water where you want it?

nikhsub1 said:
Not a good idea. It is a solid, you don't want solids in the water.

A water/baking soda solution. Not putting chunks of it in the resivour. And the resistance to heating up quicker, I'm not sure about the effect on the cooling. What I meant was that the water temperature will rise slower than distelled water. Anyone willing to try it?

Wackygore said:
Wouldn't makeing the water "resist heating up quicker" mean that the heat was staying in the block/CPU instead of in the water where you want it?

I think you hit it right on.

Why would you want the water to resist heating up (absorbing the heat) from your waterblock?

The whole point is to remove as much heat as quickly as possible from the waterblock in order to keep the cpu as cool as possible right?

What do you wish to accomplish with the solution?

So, if the water temperature was lower, but resists heating up it will not remove heat as well? I havent gone wet yet so bare with me.

The whole reason the water heats up is because its removing heat. Inhibiting the water from getting hotter would therfore stop it from removing as much heat = bad idea.

Ok, what about the water in the resivour? If you have a large resivour (if your setup is not closed loop) then the water temp will rise if it's not getting pumped back into the loop.

Water doesnt spontaneously get hotter, the heat is from two sources, temperature in the room (Unavoidable, baking soda won't do anything against this) and the components your cooling. You DO NOT WANT the water to absorb heat slower. You want the water to absorb and disperse heat as fast as possible. Thus doing what you are suggesting is the opposite of what you want to do.

(Pump would be included in components you are cooling I guess)

Also, adding that chemical may have negative effects on some components: aluminium (if any) is a prime target.

It will definitely impact Water Wetter.

NiTrO bOiE said:
Ooh, I get it now. Thanks for the clarification.

Unfortunately, what you got was a lot of misinformation.

I don't know how the specific heat capacity of a baking soda solution compares to the specific heat capacity of pure water, but water is used for cooling because it has a high specific heat capacity. (Among other reasons.)

In other words water is a better coolant than say methanol, because for equal masses of coolant, absorbing equal quantities of heat, the temperature of the water will increase by less than the ethanol. (Google Specific Heat Capacity)

In order for a waterblock to transfer heat from the block to the water, the water must be colder than the block. The larger the temperature difference between the block and the water, the better the water cools the block. If the coolant rapidly rises in temperature to near the temperature of the block, it will lose cooling effectiveness rapidly.

Back