• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hmm..taking my rig apart. A few questions though..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neco

I guess what they say about the hardware store is true...

I go in for some coaxial and the next thing I know I come out with some wing-nutts, bolts, washers, and #2 compression springs...(does that even mean anything ? I didn't see a pound rating anywhere??) Also got some various gritt sand paper and a nice sheet of 1500 to finish it all off with.

:|

Currently I'm using the Una-Block I bought off BE-Cooling a while ago. it's been a very good block to me so far, keeping my 1500+ @ 1500mhz 1.85v at a pleasant 43C or so under full load (not bad for a system with a Rio180 pump).

However I bought all the above because the mounting scares me. I basically have a piece of plexi with holes drilled for the 4 bolt mount - etc.. 4 bolts, and these tiny nutts + washers.. the nutts are a ***** to turn (so I bought wing-nutts) and I can't really tell how much pressure each one is applying (the plexi sort of bends tho..I hope this **** doesn't snap on me)

You can see the materials here.

http://becooling.safeshopper.com/6/117.htm?805

Would I be fine with the wing-nutts, or should I use the springs too ?? (how I wish this thing was a Maze3)..

Also I'm interested in getting the bolts themselves more stable. e.g I bought 8 nutts and washers, because I am sure there is a way to "Attach" the bolts to the mobo itself. I'd very much like to know the proper way to do this.

Also the proper way to do springs if it's deemed I would be better off with them. Overall I'm satisfied with this block for the $15 dollars I paid for it, I just want a more ease-of-mind mount to go along with it..

Also, I am doing this because I will be dismantling my system and I want to clean out my heater core, just to make sure(my lines appear red/stained from the water wetter but I want to make sure it's not rust) and I read the article on the 5 gallon steaming water + toilet cleaner. I'm a little apprehensive about it though, because it mentioned it could eat pinholes into the core. Is there a safer dilluted formula I could use without having to go buy more stuff ?

Also.. would the same work on my alumn block ?? If not, suggestions there would be nice.

wing nuts or springs... from what i have heard other say, it is best to go with the springs, it can be extremely hard to tighten down the wing nuts equally and avoid cracking the core.

as for red stained cus of water wetter... i havent heard of this, maybe it happens, however if it does i would bet you are using too much. it should be so diluted that this isnt possible, but this is just a guess.

I just want to be clear on the springs because I don't want to put something on there that could just as easily crush the core.. As for using plain wing nutts, if I had to I could as well.. That's how the current mounting system works only with regular nutts.

I picked up wing-nutts for the ease of grip. I got a nice new case on the way too.. so I am debating wether to just go with a quiet HSF setup for now or stick my bulky gear in the case.. My Rio180 is great. but I dunno if it can handle a 2 foot case (it would most likely sit at the top above the PSU).

If I do stick with my water though I really need to get a half decent shroud built out of something other than cardboard *grunt*

I would also go with the springs so that you do not risk cracking the core...or damaging something

Back