• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4PE a bad overclocker ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kingdom

Hello

Im thinking of buying a p4pe tomorrow, but saw anandtech said that it would do bad on memory overclock (they couldnt get it beyond 421mhz with 3 different pairs of memory)

So is this board somwwhat like the p4b533-v wich wouldnt do more than some 391mhz on the memory, had one of those once, and everything from corsair 3200cas2 to some noname ddr400mhz memory wouldnt go any further than 391mhz, i bought a p4b533-e and the memory went to some 440mhz...

So will i have the same problem with the p4pe and wont be able to clock the memory beyond some 421mhz or does the majority go higher with aircooling ?

If it is so i'll look for something else, and how does it run compared to p4b533-e boards ? (if anyone have had both)

thnx for ur time :)

this mobo rocks for me....and so many others.

I've never had a problem like the one you described.

my memory has no problem running at 427mhz and I've tested up to 432mhz with my xms3200...this is about my max.

the mobo only goes up to 2.9 vdimm.

mica

ah gr8, just wanted to hear one who have had the memory above 421mhz, so i know it arent a generel "error" thx alot mr. mac :)

Any other good or bad thoughts about this mobo ?

Brian,

What did you have your VDimm set at to get 444ish?

I can get my FSB to 151 with the highest memory multiplyer with the VDimm @ 2.7 and the VCore @ 2.6. This is with 2-2-2-5.

Anyone,

The real question is........................

By lowering the mem timing and incresing the FSB, do you get better performance???

With the above settings, if I raise the FSB to 152, I get a complete system lock in 3D Mark. Is a complete lock a symptom of memory issue?

The system ROCKS at 151. But, the P4 2.8 is only OC to just under 3.2. So, I am only getting less than a 400MHZ OC on the CPU. Kind of a sucky CPU OC.

I have tried setting the memory to the next lowest multiplyer and raising the FSB, but it still locks.

Next I set the mem timing to SPD and tried the same thing. Still locks.

If any one has an idea of how to get the FSB higher, let me know and I will run some tests with 3D Mark to compair to the most aggressive memory timing with the FSB @151.

hey sqsisa, ive recived my p4pe, and can get it stable @ 153fsb, with timings 2,2,2,6 if i lower the last 6 to 5 it locks up in 153, been running 3dmark all night without any lockups.

but if i set the memory timings to 2.5,3,3,8 it locks up in 154 and above, maybe its because im on standard intel air ? allthough it does it the second i press benchmark in 3dmark :| doubt it would had made so much heat in so little time.

But i do suspect a somewhat poor memory controller, i could be wrong but after running 3dmark for some hours at 153 fsb (2.66ghz @ 3.06) i get a temp reading of 54c, considering that the p4pe shows the tempature too high, i doubt that this is where the weak link is.

I think it is the memory controller or something like that :|

Well, so far my fears were right :|

If anyone has any advice or ideas they are very welcome.

My info is:

p4 2.66ghz
512mb corsair ddr3200cas2
asus p4pe
antec 430w truepower psu
wd 120gb se
audigy2
gf4 ti4400

I'm using a stock heatsink, i have no idea if this is causing the problem, allthough i know that my previous 2.53ghz did about 3.05ghz on stock cooling hitting some 54c

The probe shows temps at 62c under full load, considering the bad heat detection the p4pe i take some 8c from that and get some 54c, wich i never had seen as beeing to much to cause instability.

Ok, when running the fsb at 153 (3.06ghz) @ 1.625v, 3dmark runs fine, been looping it 7 times, but i barely get the chance to pust torture test in prime95 before it comes with an error message, the same with cpu stability test, after the cpu heat up (wich reaches 62c) the whetstone test begins and apx. 3 sec. after that it makes an error aswell.

so far ive been running the memory at most relaxed timings (2.5,3,3,8) and its still highly unstable, tried running the memory at 3:4 and 4:5 divider, no difference, so guess its not the memory.

tried runnings prime95 at 150fsb and it still errors, even at 1.825v (had to try) changed agp/pci lock forward and back, changed vdimm to 2.9 and back, didnt change a thing, still unstable in prime95.

So as i see it its one of theese things, either my board overclocks really really bad, or at least cant handle prime95, or i need better cooling, allthough it makes an error before it have risen above 50c.

I've tried bios 1002 and 1003.006 beta, and it made no difference at all. i can run prime95 stable at 145fsb .... hardly what i would call an overclock.

Now if i can reach 155fsb rock stable in prime95 i'd be well satisfied, but so far its 153 higly unstable in prime 95 and cpu stability test.

also changed the memory turbo seetings to optimal and auto and did no change.

Any ideas or thoughts ? i'd really appreciate it, would watercooling help me get it up there or am i right when i say i think i got a really bad overclocking motherboard ?

Hey Kingdom,
The highest I can run my FSB is 155 @1.6vcore and memory at 400 with 2-3-3-6 timings. Its stable in 3dmark but I don't like increasing the vcore so I set the cpu at 152 fsb w/1.55 vcore. The memory is set at 405 with 2-3-3-5 timings deafult vdimm. If I lower the memort timings, I can't get it to boot. I don't think you need to raise your vcore that high to reach 153 fsb. It doesn't sound right. I compared my cpu to other guys in here with same cpu and it seems all the 2.66's run stable at 150. As the fsb goes higher than 150, thats when stability starts kicking in.

Mike

ok, thx for the replies, think i'll invest in some watercooling, tried my friends 2.26ghz and it went up to 167fsb on stock cooling, doing 4 hours of prime95 and some 3dmark without errors, so looks like the 2.66 and 2.8 needs water to go there.

I have a 2.26 on water that maxes out at 157 FSB (prime95 stable). Heat is not the problem, I keep it below 40 degrees. My gigabyte MB overvolts the Vcore to 1.7 at default but does not allow upward adjustment of Vcore or Vdimm.
The board has a PCI lock too, so that is not the problem, and the memory is DDR400 that I keep between 360 and 410, so that is not the problem either. I am tempted to try a pin mod with rear window defogger goo on the socket, to get the Vcore to 1.8 or 1.85. That, of course, risks sudden death, and I agree that when you go to this extreme and burn a chip, it is dishonest to RMA it.

Sometimes chips vary and sometimes chipsets vary in their overclocked stability. Risk taking should be tempered by the cost of the component that is likely to be fried.

i like asus and i think of buying that MB
now i 'll buy it
who cares of fsb limit at 155
the main thing is stability

Back