• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there anyneed to have a bigger HC than the chevvet's...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SleepyGuy

Registered
Assuming that you are not using a peliter or anything like that? Would there be any noticeable difference? I plan on having the radiator outside of the case too.

You don't need one bigger than the Chevette and it does not need to be outside of the case unless your case it very small. The additional tubing and coupling needed to outboard it add undue complexity to a normally easy to implement process.

Hoot

Its mostly just a lack of space and maybe a tad bit of lazyness. I plan on having the pump and rad in a little box sitting right next to the computer. I might just get another case with some more room in it.. but it all depends on $$$

I use a large dual-fan (side by side) heater-core. Judging from what I see and other people see, figure on 1-1.5C lower water temps with a large dual-fan core like mine over the Chevette core. Not a big difference though for common use. The mounting difficulties associated with large dual-fan cores usually means it's much easier to just go with a Chevette core.

Right now I'm getting 28°c CPU and 27°c System with my chevette core and a 150mm fan running 7v, approx. 130CFM. So as Cathar said, you might see a 1°-1.5°c lower water temp. I have a HUGE Lytron rad(23"x12"x2") that I'll be using soon, but it will be taking the heat off four blocks and an 85w pump, but even at that it may be overkill.

R.Rabbit said:
what the hell is an internal baffle?

Something (I used a thin piece of aluminium) that controls/directs air-flow. In my case, I stuck a piece of aluminium sheet between the fans (which sit about 4cm away from the surface of the core) such that it separates the fans totally. Each fan acts on its own separate area of the heater-core.

Cathar said:
I use a large dual-fan (side by side) heater-core. Judging from what I see and other people see, figure on 1-1.5C lower water temps with a large dual-fan core like mine over the Chevette core. Not a big difference though for common use. The mounting difficulties associated with large dual-fan cores usually means it's much easier to just go with a Chevette core.

Would this change if you compared that dual fan rad to a Chevette with a push/pull shrouded fan setup?

Back