• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange problems with an Epox 4G4A+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Muggy

I've been using this board for about 5 months now and love it! But it's just started acting funny over the last few days. I've had Samsung memory and recently upgraded to Kingston. Both would run at speeds up to 370+Mhz but the Kingston would run with all fast timings. For some strange reason, I cannot get it to run at 333Mhz on the memory no matter what I do. Anything higher than that is out of the question!

I've done quite a bit of testing and the CPU continues to work fine at the same settings I've had it all along. The problem only seems to be with the memory. For example, I can run at 2.4Ghz and 266Mhz for memory with zero problems. Switchin to 333 or 354 (depending on the jumper on the motherboard) results in the problems mentioned above. I can't imagine my memory has just decided to flake out like this out of the blue but I suppose it's possible... It could be the motherboard-specifically the MCH (northbridge) or power devices for the memory section. I'm clueless on this one! Any ideas out there?

UPDATE:
I've pretty well verified the problem is with the board. I put a stick of Crucial PC2100 memory and left all memory settings at default. That means 266Mhz, CAS2.5, relaxed timings (6-3-3). Result: No POST! On one occasion I got it to post but it hung on the memory test screen. The only way I can get this machine to run is with 333Mhz memory clocked at 266Mhz. I can get fast timings to work on this setup only when I up the vmem to 2.7 volts. I'm not sure what is causing this instability but I'm now practically certain it's something in the memory controller circuitry on the mobo.

Got a replacement board from Mwave on Friday and everything is working great now! Many thanks to Mwave on their excellent customer service and prompt resolution on the replacement. They're top notch in my book!

Last edited:
Back