• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much is NB chipset affecting OC'ing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wangster

Official O/C Santa Ferret
I was wondering if it would be worth it to WC the northbridge of an Nforce2 board when it comes to OC'ing.

Do any of you have experience in OC'ing with and without a WC NB chipset?

Your thoughts,

Wangster

The NF2 chipsets do get hot, I put a crytal orb on mine, I would hate to waste flow on the NB. Some say it helps, others claim it does not... I wouldn't H20 the NB.

i wouldnt h20 cool the north bridge either... of course, times are changeing and everything keeps running hotter - i think the time will come when watercooling the nb may have considerable effects on overclocking, but it isnt here yet imo.

I ask because I've got a monster of a pump to cool everything, but I'm more concerned with the increased possibilities of leaking with the current crop of clear-topped NB coolers.

If I were to air cool the NB what is largest HSF I could use on it?

that depends on two things - one, do you want to attach the hs by the screw downs, or do you want to stick it on with something like arctic alumina? two, how much clearance is there around the northbridge on your board, is there anything that will get in the way of a heatsink?

Wangster said:
Awesome, thanks for the tip.

Did you thermal epoxy it?
No, it uses the pins to go thru the mobo like the stock passive sink. I just scraped the pink stuff off the NB, applied AS3 and put the Crytal Orb on and plugged er in!

nikhsub1 said:

No, it uses the pins to go thru the mobo like the stock passive sink. I just scraped the pink stuff off the NB, applied AS3 and put the Crytal Orb on and plugged er in!

If your motherboard does not have the holes in it, then you can use thermal epoxy.

If you can find an old P3 heatsink that measure 50mm square, then you might have a chance that it will fit. Cut some cardboard in a 50mm square and see if there is room (remember to mount your CPU cooling). I'd epoxy it on. If it doesn't stay cool enough after this, you've got an interresting NB.

Back