• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory > fsb, is there a point?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

augustwest

if there is in fact an advantage to using a memory faster than the fsb, what is it and how does this work?

also, see my mem and fsb in the sigi, could i maybe get higher fsb by setting my mem back to 133 in the bios? that would make it run the same as the fsb right?

Dark purple on dark grey = impossible to read.

Anyway, putting the mem to 133 will in all likelyhood allow a higher FSB, but the only reason to up the FSB is to overclock the memory. Putting the mem back down kinda defeats the purpose, you may as well just up the multipliers.

As for mem faster than chip FSB, I'd like to know too. My mobo tops at 200, and my XMS 3200 is rated for 200, it's not even overclocked yet :) I know I could async it to 224 or something, but will it help?

--Illah

i dont know. i just realized this the other night. im running the **** out of my mem, but what for? oh and my proc is unlocked but really doesnt like to be raised when the fsb is higher than 133. so i leave it stock.

Well typically its hard to run aggressive timings if your memory is stressed so it is helpful to leave yourself a little headroom on your memory to ensure you can run the timings you want at the fsb you want.

Back