• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM prices dropping again?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NetNinja489

Registered
well last week I was planning on buying a stick of 256mb DDr kingston memory (non ecc) and I found the cheapest would be buying at googlegear.com for $65. Today I checked for prices again because I was torn from either buying a new hard drive or more memory, the price at googlegear for the same ram has dropped to $55.

I dont know if thats amazing or not (i think it is :D ) but will the price of ram go any lower? I dont wanna buy now and feel like a sucker when they drop even lower. hmm but then again I'd feel pretty dumb if i didn't buy the ram now and it only went higher..

Anyone else notice this slight drop in prices? And does anyone think itll go lower or higher?

512 Sticks I have been looking at have dropped....both PC2700: Samsung Original $129 to $123 and Kingston Value Ram $125 to $115

These prices are Newegg in the last couple of days...off to check them again :p

The question is, when is the big drop coming? I don't mind if they drop slowly...in that case I'll buy now. But if I buy it and it drops 10+%, I'll be ****ed!

Kingston 256 PC2700 333MHz is now just $47.00 at Googlegear.
New or revolutionary type of RAM comming soon????? Hmmmm....
I seem to remember SDRAM doing this prior to the release of DDR before people even new about DDR.

The VTech said:
Kingston 256 PC2700 333MHz is now just $47.00 at Googlegear.
New or revolutionary type of RAM comming soon????? Hmmmm....
I seem to remember SDRAM doing this prior to the release of DDR before people even new about DDR.

there was the buzz about DDR-II, but according to OC.com frontpage .. it's been delayed for a year .. hmm .. anyway, i'm one happy dude :) .. been looking for RAM for awhile now.. i'll be waiting again another week or so, to see just how much lower it could be :D .. yayy

I read some where a few weeks ago a glut of RAM is expected by the end of this year. This in combination with any new RAM that may hit the market by then is what's likely to keep RAM prices steadily dropping throughout the year. So, we've probably seen the last of high memory prices for a while.

So what are you saying? That we should wait til the end of the year? I think it'd be ideal to figure out when the low point is (before it starts going back up).

A while back (few years I guess) I got a 256mb PC2100 from Crucial for $30, then the prices started going up and up until I was kicking myself for not getting two when I had the chance.
Today, 512mb PC2100 Crucial is $80, which is about as high as 256mb got after I got mine.
I simply had a thread in a forum I I visited at the time labelled, "RAM prices" and updated it weekly until the prices was irresistable. It would be a decent sticky if the main page doesn't have a price tracker (with history) already. Unfortunately, I was the only person posting to my thread mentioned earlier because people used common sense and were mostly adults. I know what would happen here (ugly).

Back