• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need some help with Phantom Punisher's Vmem mod on the IT7 MAX2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Black_Paladin

I actually got a IT7MAX2 V2.0 but the mod should be the same on all IT7's right? Maybe not...

Oh well, Phantom Punisher explained the vmem mod you can do to get the full 3.2V's from the mobo on his website but unfortunately there are still people like me around here who need a bit more explanation. :D :D

I understand what the purpose of the mod is. Basically we are trying to bypass the diode here which reduces the voltage as it is going through it, right? OK, that sounds simple enough but I can't see where the ends of the wire go on that picture. Looking at my board, I can only see 2 ends on the diode. One tiny part up and one tiny part down. Now, if I am to connect just these ends with some wire, then what is the diagram right next to the picture for??? That diagram is what confuses me! On the diagram, there are 6 ends and it says "you want this one, #2". What does that mean?? I don't see 6 ends on the diode anywhere
:eek: :eek:

Eh, wait, now that I read the whole thing again, it looks like that diagram is only for the trim pot mod which will give you 3.3V's and not required for the diode mod. Is that right?

yes the six surface mounts come into play with the trim pot mod.

with the max2 version2 the mods may or maynot work. if you use the bios on my site and select 3.2 vmem and you do not get the normal 2.95-3.05 vmem as mesured in the bios, then the mod will not work. if you do get the 3ish volts then your board is eledgible for the mod

i dont have this board myself to figure out. i tryed to get some guys to do the testing/probing for me but no one was able.

Sweet!! The man himself answers my post! :)

First of all, I love your BIOS man, it's way too cool!

i dont have this board myself to figure out. i tryed to get some guys to do the testing/probing for me but no one was able.

Well, I got some good news for you then! I am using your D6R BIOS right now and running with 3.0 Volts for my RAM (it is actually showing as 2.8-2.9V in hardware doctor which is normal I'm sure). Selecting 3.2V's makes no difference however because of the diode the voltage goes through. When I select 3.2V's, I still get 3.0V's.

BUT,
if you do get the 3ish volts then your board is eledgible for the mod

So, this board is eligible then, sweeeeet. I am pretty sure I have a voltmeter in the garage so I'm taking that out and doing this mod tonight. It sounds really simple. I don't want to solder anything just yet so I'll try running some copper wire between the ends of the diode and stick them to the diode with some electrical tape. I'll measure with the voltmeter first after I do this and I'll let you know if it works! I don't see why it shouldn't if I do this properly

Phantom Punisher, YOU ROCK!!! :) :) :)

I am now running at 3.2V!!!!

I wanna attach a pic of hardware doctor showing this here but how do I attach a pic from my hard disk?? When I try to insert an image I only get the option to type in a URL.

hey thats some great news. not many of the max2 v2 are capable of this. how is the 3.2 working for you? i myself found it made my corsair unstable, although i coulds screen shot higher sissoft scores for fun.
try out modbin on my site and try out moding a bios. its pretty easy and you can personalize your bios. have fun

Sorry I took forever to reply to this. :)

Basically what happened is that I tested my RAM for hours and hours just to find out that Corsair didn't like anything over 3volts at all so I got no speed increase. I was disappointed to be honest because I was seeing all these people getting really high speeds with their RAM at high volts and they had 5ns Winbond chips just like I do on my Corsair PC3500. I even read a post where a guy was saying he was feeding 3.5v's to his 5ns Winbond chips to get to 490Mhz or so and that Winbond chips LIKED the extra voltage (I think he was using Twinmos memory). Well, mine don't for some reason it seems.

So then after my disappointment with the RAM, I went into volt modding my Radeon 8500 with the pencil trick and got nothing out of that either and THEN I ordered a Radeon 9500 to hack into a Radeon 9700 and now I am into that big time. I have been posting regularly about that subject under the Video Cards
ATI cards forum for a while so check it out if you are interested.

I am definately going to give your BIOS modding tools a try Phantom Punisher. You rule! :)

Back