• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this design feasable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

undertow

Registered
Ok, I did a little thinking.. the following is a diagram of my current setup:
wb-1.jpg

Now, from what I can see.. the water is really losing it's cooling properties once it leaves the CPU waterblock, as it's pretty much already hot -- which, leaves the northbridge rather 'uncooled'.

So, what I've done is added a resevoir with a peltier, as show in the diagram below:
wb-2.jpg

See? From what I figure, that would help cool the water from the cpu to the northbridge.

Is this idea feasable? Is there something I'm missing, or not taking into account? This kind of stuff just gets my brain working, and I'll spend a few hours just thinking ideas up. :D

nb won't need that much cooling.

AND if your water is 'hot' enough after cpu, that means your cpu is rather hot(the water can't really get hotter than the block)..

there wont be much diff in water temp before/after cpu block if you got enough flow(like 1-2c.. even lower..if you got huge peltiers it might be otherwise..).
you might just slap the peltier straight to cool the nb..

Well, one thing I noticed with nForce2 motherboards.. is the cooler the NB, the more stable the system. Apparently, the Northbridge is the key, as well as the VDD voltage (recently 'discovered') to stablity. So, I figure why not cool the ever living $#!@ out of it? :)

Robbie said:
Why don't you just try and use a splitter?
Rob

Aw, now you gotta go and take all the fun out of it. :D

I always figured splitters kind of restricted flow and really weren't the best solution. I've been wrong before, once.. that would definately be much easier, though. ;)

you are right imo to think that splitters arent worth it when considering cooling the northbridge, in fact water usually isnt except in the more extreme setups or quiet requirements (a strong fan and a heatsink would be more than efficient, consider the (small) amount of heat the northbridge gives off and the flow restriction the small wb there introduces to your loop).

however a bigger issue when considering your concerns is this: The temperature of the water through watercooling loops is consistent throughout the loop to within atleast +/- .5 C. Water is an effective cooler due to a few properties, but a single "packet" or "section" of water does not pick up that much heat alone... it is the number of molecules that each pick up tiny amounts of heat each time they touch something that is warmer than they are that provide the cooling. So really, the water reaching your northbridge is not "hot" after it goes through your cpu block. if you want colder water for your northbridge the best move is to increase your heat exchange capacity at your radiator, but in reality and my opinion, it shouldn't be a concern as the northbridge will not be hot enough relative to the cpu to warrant worrying about it.

if you are looking for more performance, you may be able to gain a couple degrees cpu temp by changing the nb cooling to air, depending on how much the nb block restricts flow, which is probably a considerable amount. I'm guessing on that, but it's likely and possible, and would be the move i would make. the nforce2 chipset does get warmer than other chipsets, but a heatsink and fan with decent airflow would make me feel good about its temp.

this is just how i would look at it. good luck. :)

Last edited:
oh boy, your nb is gonna get water thats .5c hotter than the water supplied to your cpu;)

seriously, thats basicly how it goes, it would be pretty much pointless to do it like that... why not put the peltier on the NB? donchya think it would be tons better?

Peltier + Res = no go

There should be an article at Overclockers. Doens't work too well, direct peltier cooling works better.

Ah. Well, it was a good idea at the time. I guess I'll just slap some dry ice on the radiator when I need some "extra" cooling. The Publix by my house sells dry ice cheap. :)

ok lets look at this from a physics stand point, how many watts is your cpu outputing? 60 or 70 watts how much of that is getting to the heatsink?
your using a maze2-2 right, with a 120w pelt, which should be getting all of that wattage or some of it
so you are disapating about 120w, or you want to be
so set up the Q=mcΔt input(Q) is 120 kJ/s or 120 watts
now how much water is passing through your set up in 1 sec
lets say your pump is 748 gph which is 786.43 ml per sec and since the densty of water is 1 ml/g thats 786.43 g of water per sec or .78643 kg of water/sec

so now the mass is .78643 kg, energy input is .120 kJ, the specific of water is 4.187 kJ/kg
so its .120=.78643*4.187*Δt
and simplified its Δt=0.036443343366864013343657287090525 C
translation, dont worry about it
so your temp change per second is .036 C
hey i just had thermodynics in physics, and im bored

undertow said:
Ah. Well, it was a good idea at the time. I guess I'll just slap some dry ice on the radiator when I need some "extra" cooling. The Publix by my house sells dry ice cheap. :)

Thats what I was gonna do...but i'm too cheap...and i'm sure I woudl've used it for "alternative purposes"...none being legal

Back