• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What temps should I expect?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkHawk

First I would like to say that after hearing my computer before and after watercooling I am never going back.

I am currently running my first watercooling setup from CPUfx.com and I am wondering what temps I should be seeing. Right now at stock 1800+ Palamino speeds and surfing/ winamp I am at 35c measured by an in SOCKET thermistor touching the back of the cpu, I have a shim, and I have checked the contact, I cannot tighten it down anymore and I don't know if I want to.

Compared to my previous 40c idle 48c load on Speeze/YS-Tech combo I feel pretty good.

Any ideas? I don't know the GPH of the pump but the radiator is 5 x 7 and it has a "Compuman" 120mm fan unknown cfm on it.

Is it flow? is it the rad/fan? Is it the contact? Is it the thickness of the AS3?

I am pretty sure that I have everything setup right....

Maybe its the mix of coolant/water?

Thanks in advance guys.

These are my temps as measured by my vantec nexus.
ambient: 27.5C
Water: 29C
CPU (load): 33.5C

Those are my current temps with my DB-2 waterblock, XP1600 @11.5x166, 1.9 VCore. I've seen my CPU temps up to 37C. Use these numbers as a comparison to see how well your system is tweaked. If your Water:Ambient temperature difference is much greater than that, you should work on airflow through your radiator. the Water:CPU temp difference is largely determined by your WB, so there's not much you can do other than to have it lapped as well as possible and installed correctly.

NeoMoses said:
These are my temps as measured by my vantec nexus.
ambient: 27.5C
Water: 29C
CPU (load): 33.5C

Those are my current temps with my DB-2 waterblock, XP1600 @11.5x166, 1.9 VCore. I've seen my CPU temps up to 37C. Use these numbers as a comparison to see how well your system is tweaked. If your Water:Ambient temperature difference is much greater than that, you should work on airflow through your radiator. the Water:CPU temp difference is largely determined by your WB, so there's not much you can do other than to have it lapped as well as possible and installed correctly.

Neo c'mon, those temps are not possible. There is not a chance in hell your CPU is 4.5C above water, it's just an impossibility. When Cathar was doing his testing on his block, the best he could muster was I think 16 - 16.5C above water temp. Not ragging ya, just saying it isn't possible...

No clue what my water temps are but I am sure that since my ambient in my basement is around 24c as read by MBM using the onboard temp sensor ( anyone know where this is placed on my mobo? ). Case is open, the side is in the middle of recieving a window, so the ambient is essentially the same as ambient. The rad is mounted at the front as and exhaust, I know that is backwards compared to normal airflow, but I have equal amounts of in to out so I doubt it would make any noticalbe difference having air go down instead of up.

I am figuring that its the water block, it didn't look like it would perform as good as say a WW, but it is quieter by a longshot and after having a 7500 RPM 60mm YS-Tech HS/F combo I am loving every minute of it. I may still need to bleed the system a little more but from the sound of it I am in ok territory temps wise.

I have it OC'd to 1900+ speeds (1610 is what MBM says) and my temps are only 1c more at idle and 2 more at load ( folding/winamp/browsing/rendering POVRay )

nikhsub1 said:

Neo c'mon, those temps are not possible. There is not a chance in hell your CPU is 4.5C above water, it's just an impossibility. When Cathar was doing his testing on his block, the best he could muster was I think 16 - 16.5C above water temp. Not ragging ya, just saying it isn't possible...

Let's do a little thought experiment here. Let's say ambient temp is 25C. Water temp always has to be above ambient temps in the standard radiator-cooled systems that most of us run. So, we'll say for argument's sake that water temps are 29C. If Cathar's WW block was performing 16C above water temps, that would put the CPU at 44-45C, which is horrible for watercooling. I don't have any hard facts, but I remember seeing numbers in the low 30's for Cathar's WW block. I'm sure he'll back me up on this.

These temps are measured using the thermistors on my vantec Nexus. They have never been calibrated (although I guess I'll make some curves for that this weekend) but when tested they all agreed with each other to the 0.1C resolution that is displayed on the controller. I'm not saying that these numbers are absolute, the the temperature differences will be accurate.

The placement of the probe has it touching the side of the die, and it agrees within 2C of the On-Die Temp sensor from my 8k3a, so I would assume that it is as close as the average (non-BillA) user will get to a real CPU temp.

I wouldn't expect most people to get these kind of temperatures, as I have spent many hours lapping the base of this waterblock and it is clamped with 36 pounds of force (150% of the AMD recommended Max).

As always, you should take everything you read for what it is. I'm not claiming everyone can get these temps. I'm just stating what mine are in the hopes of helping others tweak their systems to the max.

Those seem like pretty good temps, and remember the in socket thermistors are not generally calibrated very well.

Currently I'm running:
CPU idle, 30°c Winbond XP reader on 8K3A, 29°c Compunurse
CPU load, 35°c Winbond XP reader on 8K3A, 34°c Compunurse
System, 29°c Winbond
Ambient, 25°c run-o'-the mill thermostat
Water, 27°c inline thermostat.

These temps are obviously not an absolute, but a good indicator of performance.

There needs to be a follow-up mantra to BillA's here:

<chant>
"it is totally pointless and frustrating to make any temperature comparisons between different systems and then attempt to draw any conclusions on waterblock performance....ohmmmmm"
</chant>

Seriously - I have systems that exhibit up to 20C differences in reported temperatures using the exact same cooling setup and CPU and overclock and voltage.

What hope do people have on the web to make any sane comparison with that degree of difference?

I have systems that report full-load CPU temps well below the water temperatures.

What hope do people have on the web to make any sane comparison with that degree of difference?

I have systems that report no difference between idle and BurnK7/BurnP6 full-load CPU temps.

<chant>
"it is totally pointless and frustrating to make any temperature comparisons between different systems and then attempt to draw any conclusions on waterblock performance....ohmmmmm"
</chant>

NeoMoses said:

Let's do a little thought experiment here. Let's say ambient temp is 25C. Water temp always has to be above ambient temps in the standard radiator-cooled systems that most of us run. So, we'll say for argument's sake that water temps are 29C. If Cathar's WW block was performing 16C above water temps, that would put the CPU at 44-45C, which is horrible for watercooling. I don't have any hard facts, but I remember seeing numbers in the low 30's for Cathar's WW block. I'm sure he'll back me up on this.

Do you mean 44-45c for Load or Idle?

Because i get anywhere from 40-43load. All depends if the heater is running or not.

Using whitewater block.

Im also only using Panaflo L1A 120MM fans. Not the highest CFM rating out there.

Back