• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pc2700 + Pc3200 = ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

T'wolves

Is it possiable to run a stick of PC2700 and PC3200 on the same board? I own a 256 of PC2700, and I bought a stick of PC3200, and it won't post. Both work individually, my PC2700 even boots windows at 190 fsb with all aggressive timings, haven't checked stability yet. Or do I need to try different slots. My board is the Abit KX7-333R with bios flashed from 7M to 9K.

BTW - I do not have the little speaker plugged in, that thing is so annoying on boot up. And I was planning on selling my old stick, so if they don't work together I'm gonna do that(the PC2700 that is).

AC Slater said:
They should work together just fine. If anything the pc2700 should slow down the system a bit.

Like he said it should work fine but if you meant it maybe the bottleneck in a overclock then that is correct but memory shouldn't seem any different. The main issue is compatibility.

Thanks, try different combinations of dimm slots then, just so I know they should work together. I'm not worried about bottlenecking too much. Because my board is only Kt-333 chipset, I probably won't reach a 200 fsb overclock anyways, and with my PC2700 able to hit 190 fsb, I think I'm doing pretty good.

Forgot to mention they are both Corsair XMS, so compatiablity shouldn't be an issue I think.

Yodums said:

Like he said it should work fine but if you meant it maybe the bottleneck in a overclock then that is correct but memory shouldn't seem any different. The main issue is compatibility.

That is what I meant, had to go to class so I was typing without really thinking :)

Back