• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

corsair 2700 ram question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have 512MB of Corsair XMS 2700 (from Googlegear, it was on sale a couple of weeks ago) ... timing by SPD = 7-3-3-2.0 @ 166 FSB

The highest I've run it (on my NF7-S) is 212 FSB @ 6-3-3-2.5 rock stable. The mobo gets a little flaky at anything over 212 (next available setting is 217, then it skips around a bit up to 231 -- at 217 things were really odd and at 225 Windows started complaining about files being missing or corrupted and Norton 2003 started popping up bogus virus warnings). The point being, IF the mobo was stable above 212 the RAM would handle it.

The highest I ran it @ CAS 2 was around 190 (7-3-3-2.0) but I didn't really do much testing, so with a little tweaking it would have probably done more with a bit more relaxed timings.

Strangely enough, the memory went up to 188 @ 7-3-3-2.0 and even 200+ with tight CAS 2.5 timings but totally choked at 166 FSB 6-2-2-2.0 (what the mobo calls "Turbo") even tho at HIGHER settings the Turbo (whatever it happens to be for that FSB speed) always worked and in most cases there was even a little room to tighten the timings up. Odd. But all in all I'm really happy with it. Even running at 212Mhz 6-3-3-2.5 it seems to stay cool (based on my very scientific temperature gauge: I grounded myself to the case and touched the heatspreader, which didn't seem much over ambient). Or maybe the heatspreader just really sucks and the RAM is slowly being broiled to death under there ... haha. Hope not ...

Back