• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Northbridge WaterBlock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

x-kid

i'm wanting to get a waterblock to cool my northbridge on my A7N8X. What do ya'll recomend.

thanks
kevin

I use a simple dimpled copper plate and pipe-cap block on my A7V8X. It's simple to construct and very effective.

Hoot

well i don't think i'll be able to construct one. so i guess i'll just buy one. Thanks for the suggestion though. I was thinking about the danger den z block. would ya'll recommend any others.

kevin

all of the commercial nb blocks i have seen are pretty restrictive. if you can get somebody to build you one the ideal nb block is just an open casm and if you want, dimpled base. you want an open casm because since the nb doesnt need alot of cooling you want the block to restrict flow as little as possible.

Looking at the DD Z-block, with 1/2" fittings it doesn't look any more restrictive than a pipe-cap with 1/2" fittings. The barb ID looks to have less volume than the actual chamber so it would be the limiting factor just like in a pipe-cap block. Just my opinion based upon appearance, not personal experience though.

Hoot

My NB waterblock has a pin-fin in the middle to give slightly better cooling, but is still extremely free flowing. It's overkill on the cooling capacity for a NB and it's not restrictive at all.

Well I use Innovatek's NB block....I think it works pretty well. Nice size factor-it's realy small, but with 1/4"ID, 3/8"OD barbs....it's a bit of a hassle to setup.

The DD z-block has 1/2 inch channels so if you are going to buy one and want as little restriction as possible I would get that one.

I dont think that a watercooling your northbridge is really worth it, it will not give you much of a performance boost.

matt, up until lately I would agree with you. However, I have seen quite a few people with Intel systems and nForce2s successfully increase their maximum stable FSB by watercooling the NB. True, it's not necessary, but it's one more way to squeeze a few more MHz out. Is it worth the money? Only you can decide.

Neomoses- Did they go from stock cooling straight to NB WaterBlock, or did they go from aftermark NB HSF to NB Waterblock? Because if its the first one, they might have been able to accomplish the couple extra MHz from a better NB heatsink and ASII

a couple of them had tried applying AS3 and adding a fan to the NB, a couple others went straight from passive cooling to watercooling.

I have a Abit BD7II-R and the north bridge heatsink is held on by a bracket that grabs two loops that stick up out of the mobo, so there are no holes around the North bridge. Has anyone seen NB water blocks with a mounting system that will work with this setup, I have some ideas of how to make one of my own, but was just curious if anyone has seen any that are sold that way????

Zero470 said:
I have a Abit BD7II-R and the north bridge heatsink is held on by a bracket that grabs two loops that stick up out of the mobo, so there are no holes around the North bridge. Has anyone seen NB water blocks with a mounting system that will work with this setup, I have some ideas of how to make one of my own, but was just curious if anyone has seen any that are sold that way????

i think bladerunner;s nb block works for thingy like this...

http://www.zerofanzone.co.uk/default.asp

x-kid, if you plan on doing a voltage mod to your northbridge, then I think watercooling your northbridge would be very worthwhile.

Zero470 said:

Don't know of any that are sold that way. The solution is to use what is supplied to you, the two loops. Make a clip that catches the loops and has dual tightning screws over the northbridge block. The block would have to be planned so that the inlet and outlet are diagonally oriented and the other two corners of the block would be open for the pressure screws to apply force to the block from the clip.

Back