• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disappearing water!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GekigangarV

Registered
I just set up my first watercooling setup last week and I've been running it nicely. I'm on a T-line system. I'm wondering why the water level in the bleed line decreases. I have to refill every 2 days or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I positively sure there isn't a leak... And I'm also using vinyl tubing, hope that's not a big deal. :sn:

Last edited:
I had the same thing happen. For the first week the water level dropped, I suspect that bleeding the system had something to do with it. I found last night that there was a little moist by the threads of the out tube from the pump. With the fan blowing across the pump it was evaporating the water so I could not see the leak.

if you have an extra hs/f take out your water cooling and run it in the corner of your room without fans and sit and watch then if you see any leaks whatsoever you need to fix em and this could help you figure out some stuff:) I guess

From my personal experiences, I have found the same phenomenon occuring for months after the last time I changed a component in the water chain and in doing so, introduced visible air into the system. After you remove the visible air from your system and top it off, there is still air in your system. My famous "gut feeling" is that it exists in two components.

The more obvious is pockets trapped in places where you can not see them, like the two humps on top of the typical chevette heater core. Unless you pick up your PC and rotate it it in all planes while it is running, chances are you will have these remote pockets. Water absorbs air. If it didn't, the fish would all die. That air, though invisible, when suspended in water adds (minutely) to its volume. As your water trap percolates out the air, the water picks up more air from those pockets and the pocket size decreases. That process continues until the pockets are absorbed and replaced by water. That process makes your level go down.

Once all the pockets have been eliminated, you still have the air, suspended in the water, to get rid of. Depending upon the temperature, altitude and presence of other chemical compounds in the water, that process is a slow and subtle one. Eventually, your water reaches equilibrium for your altitude and temperature and no more air will come out of it. At that point, as I said, some times months later, the rate of water drop will slow considerably.

Unfortunately, we rarely leave our system undisturbed long enough for the water to reach equilibrium. I know I have only done so once or twice since I went to water cooling. As such, I try to check my water no less than once a week. If you use a T-trap and let the water level drop to where the flow sucks air back into the lines, you have to start the process all over.

That's my "laymans" spin on the issue of dropping water levels in a closed loop system.

Hoot

Ok, thanks for all the help. I have another question.

I have a MAZE3 with lucite top and there appears to be something on the surface of the water routes in the block. It looks like barnacles or something. My chipset block (also lucite top) has the same thing in it. Is this normal??

GekigangarV said:
Ok, thanks for all the help. I have another question.

I have a MAZE3 with lucite top and there appears to be something on the surface of the water routes in the block. It looks like barnacles or something. My chipset block (also lucite top) has the same thing in it. Is this normal??

sure as hell doenst sounds normal but I just though of something cool why dont you stick a really small fish in there and watch it swim through your system LOL!

prbbly but i can see someone with a tc4 and the fish getting sucked in and chopped to pieces

you should use additives to block from fungus and stuff though like watter wweter or purple ice or even antifreeze

haha the new 1100 gph pump vs the gold fish.
"welcome ladys and gentlemen for tonight we have quite the interesting battle. man vs machine goldfish vs. mag drive water pump. but the trick the gold fish has a top speed of 5 mph when the massive 110 volt wonder comes out with a whopping 1100 gph @ 1 foot of head!"

"LET THE MATCH BEGIN"

"swishy, swish..., vooooom, tearing noices."

"well it is a grim day today at aquarious racing 2000, its just so sad that little bugger didnt even stand a chance to out runi that pump ina 1' line..."

sorry for the thread jacking just such a nice oppertunity ill also comment in on it though.
to be safe go ahead and remove ur system i bet it is a trapped bubble, but better safe than sorry...

most auto parts stores will either have ww instock or can order it for you, you might want to spend 20-30 minuts on the phone finding a places with some instock, i have found this is the fastes way to find a shop with some in :)

GekigangarV said:
I just set up my first watercooling setup last week and I've been running it nicely. I'm on a T-line system. I'm wondering why the water level in the bleed line decreases. I have to refill every 2 days or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I positively sure there isn't a leak... And I'm also using vinyl tubing, hope that's not a big deal. :sn:

My thought on this phenomenon is yes the first week or two you have trapped micro bubbles in the system, but I have also found having the t-fitting not properly sealed will allow water to evaporate. You can have a small leak and never see ANY water, why? The water is evaporating ever so slightly. I had a small leak around the fitting on my pump. never showed any water on the bottom of the case, but it was the cause of my water leaving the system. On the other hand I had a system so tight that water within the t-fitting never moved in over 4 months until I took the system apart.

I know from experiance if you install your heatercore horizontally and don't prefill it; you'll have air trapped in it with no hope of getting it back out until you do fill it.

My water level is dropping pretty slowly now. I think it was the micro-bubbles Hoot and the others were talking about. But I still got the problem with the barnacles, maybe I'll take a pic when I take apart my system later this week.

Back