• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KGH

Hey guys,
I need some memory. which I should buy PC2100 Or PC2700 ? currently I using one stick of pc2100 from other system 153x10.5 that is highest I can get on this memory.
will PC2700 better ?
I see Newegg has $55 for 256pc2100 Crucial which is the best out there now right ?

well, pc2700 is rated to run at 166Mhz, so yes, if you upgrade all your ram to pc2700 you should be able to raise your FSB. if you do get more pc2100 mem it may not be able to do the 153Mhz you are running now as its only rated to run at 133. Crucial is very good if you are not going to oc, but i have heard that it doesn't oc all that well. The best you can get is corsair xms, good for oc'ing, great warranty policy, easy RMA's.

I got 2 of those sticks now and I'm running at 153fsb, but windows does not boot when I change the mem to CAS2. This is really not a concern to me. The mem is stable at 2.5 and so is the whole system.

I would be happy if it can push to 160fsb with PC2700 ( samsung) :)
didnt know if I add more mem in, the fsb going to drop umm learning something new today

It's not exactly that the top fsb you could run WILL drop, but there's the possibility that it could, your system will only run stable at the highest fsb that BOTH sticks of ram would run at separately stable.

stick one you say gets you to 153, if the new stick only does 148, then you'd only be able to do 148 with both sticks in.

Crucial is insane overclocking memory (In factunless I'm mistaken, a good portion of corsairs memory uses Micron (crucial) chips.

I've got a stick that can do 195+ (pc2100) and another that can do 192 (PC2100) They do 185 together (these are all at default voltage) And I recently sold a stick I had up to 182 at default voltage.

But I'd say your best bet for a memory upgrade is a stick of samsung or crucial pc2700, unless you can get a good price on something 5ns or less (Mushkin had 512megs of 5ns for 150$ awhile ago I know)

Memory prices have been dropping and I believe they'll continue to drop throughout this year (read somewhere about a memory glut coming up near the end of this year). So I'm holding off on spending too much on anything faster until the prices drop more. I just bought a 256MB stick of Crucial's PC2100 at NewEgg for $55 just get me through until then. Haven't been able to O/C much to speak of with the Crucial I've had.

look like I have to borrow a crucial stick from my pal to test out b4 shop for one ( crucial ) or bet on the pc2700 samsung
thnkx guys

Back