• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low melting point solder for heater core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shroomer

member with no avatar
Okay... Lowes and Home depot carry this solder paste that melts with a lighter. SO... I'm wondering if I can use it on a heater core to avoid melting the real solder that holds the whole thing together. I just want to add the barbs and possibly put a fill line barb in the top like DedgeViper's.

It just seems safer to me. I doubt there would be any way that it would get hot enough to cause problems in the system, right?

I wouldn't use it on a waterblock, but I think it's just right for this application.

I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I use a torch, and some of the lower temp solder by Sterling (at Lowe's, I think) The lower temp lets it work fast, before the rest of the solder heats up.

is it necessary to solder this? couldnt you drill and jb weld? not that that would be what you want to do but is that a choice?

I just soldered this autozone.com $17.99 radiator up last night. I used some Kester 63/37 Sn/Pb rosin core solder and none of the joints near the barbs or plug were impacted. The key is to pre-tin the barb and hole, put the barb in place and only put the torch to the barb until the solder flows between the two. Leak tested just fine with an air compressor and water tank.

newrad.jpg

Hoot

I did it the same way as Hoot did it. Pre tin your barbs and it should be ok. If you need to add more solder just hold the solder over the area you need soldered and bring the torch to it. Once it melts take the torch off of it. Don't keep holding the torch to it for to long. Always use flux. A pre tinning flux is best.

FIZZ3 said:
Nice job Hoot, what type of heatercore is that? Chevette?

No, it is a standard output heater core for a 1975 Ford Truck F-100 2WD W/O AC. Autozone P/N 398016

I have a Chevette heater core and the core part is identical (6x6x2 inches) The 5/8 inch inlet and outlet piping layout is the only difference.

Thanks to Shroomer for the tip on finding it in
This thread.

Hoot

I thought It was crazy for people to get boxed in to just the chevette when there are others out there...

If you visit that thread please give thought that the guy who wrote the database needs hosting on a mature site. Anyone with influence please try to get this thing made a permanent fixture for us.

Hoot said:

No, it is a standard output heater core for a 1975 Ford Truck F-100 2WD W/O AC. Autozone P/N 398016

I have a Chevette heater core and the core part is identical (6x6x2 inches) The 5/8 inch inlet and outlet piping layout is the only difference.

Thanks to Shroomer for the tip on finding it in
This thread.

Hoot

Thanks for the info. It looked so similar to me already.

I would sure love to get such a deal on a heatercore myself, but I figure the nearest Autozone carrying these is about a continent away. :S

Back