• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tygon Tubing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

I was wondering if any of you could tell me if Tygon tubing is stretchable like silicone tubing is so that way I could stretch it over the mounts if I needed too.
Duck

To an extent, soak the end in hot water and use palmolive/dawn to ease the fitting.

Or just stretch it over. I fit 3/8" tygon over 1/2" barbs (with some problems, mind), but it turned out fine. No hot water or dawn (although the hot water sounds like a good idea now)-dawn? Like, the soap? Ummmm....good idea?

Just generally, though, it's very strechy.

I use silicone rubber tubing. Someone gave me some Tygon to play with. My observation was that it stretched as fas as the silicone rubber tubing, but the retraction force was not as strong once it was stretched. I'm a big fan of using 3/8" tubing on 1/2" barbs since the ID of the tubing is the same as the barb. I like the silicone rubber tubing because it does not require clamps when used that way.

Hoot

ToiletDuck said:
I was wondering if any of you could tell me if Tygon tubing is stretchable like silicone tubing is so that way I could stretch it over the mounts if I needed too.
Duck

DTEK says their 1/2" Tygon will stretch over a 3/4" fitting. That sounds quite stretchy to me. :D

I have used hundreds of feet of Tygon tubing over the years. I
agree with what Hoot wrote. It does stretch especially when it
is warm, but it does not "snap" back or grip a barb well especially
after being forced onto a barb multiple times. With hose
clamps, however, it is still my favorite tubing.

If you rub a little bit of rubbing alcohol on the end the hose it will slide right over the fitting then it will seal itself to the barb. Works great with plastic barbs.

sminker said:
If you rub a little bit of rubbing alcohol on the end the hose it will slide right over the fitting then it will seal itself to the barb. Works great with plastic barbs.

this technique works for many things

Back