• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does a MoBo exist with rdram 232pin and 8x agp ?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gruvin2

Just wondering if there is a 8x agp board with rdram (232pin)
I have yet to see one!

Why is that ...fastest memory currently..but no support for 8x agp

Welcome to the forums.

A couple of reasons. The big one is, Rambus is not being included in Intel's future chipsets. The 850E will be the last desktop chipset from Intel that uses RDRAM. SiS showed a prototype PC1066 board with AGP 8X at the Intel Developer's Forum last fall, but that is the last anything was heard or seen about it.

The other reason is, AGP 8X on a current board is only useful as a marketing gimmick. There are no current games, or games in development, that will tap into the bandwidth available in 8X. By the time it is needed, your rig will be like a P3/1000 and a GF2 Ti is today.

BHD

gruvin2 said:
Just wondering if there is a 8x agp board with rdram (232pin)
I have yet to see one!

When considering features for a motherboard all you really need to do is have a look at what the currently available chipsets can do. Currently the ONLY RDRAM chipset is the 850e...and it doens't have 8x support. As soon as you see a chipset supporting RDRAM and 8x then you will see boards.

I agree with the others and say that 8x is a pointless feature for now...as a matter of fact I avoided an 8x card to go with the Gigabyte 8SG667 system I built for my sister recently to hopefully avoid any 8x SNAFUs. 4x was a bear to get working properly when it first was available...still see some problems today. No big rush for 8x by savvy users, only the manufacturers and brainwashed 'MAX Performace!!!' minded users.

Back