• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TwinMOS PC3200 Winbond - 1*512 or 2*256?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ola

Registered
I'm planning a new computer and am wondering about which RAM setup to get. I'm planning on getting TwinMOS PC3200 Winbond, as Corsair are US$60 more per 256MB stick and US$110 more per 512MB stick... just too much of a difference.

I'm planning on getting an Abit BE7 or maybe IT7 MAX2 and a 2,4GHz/533MHz. I'm of course planning on overclocking.

I've read that the 512MB TwinMOS don't overclock as well as the 256MB but I also read that having one stick of memory is better than two...

So, which is it? Should I get one 512MB stick or two 256MB?

Thanks

/Ola

Having one stick of 512 used to be prefferable....but with the advent of dual channel DDR it is better in the long run to be 'packin 2x 256 so you can use DCDDR if you ever have the oportunity.

You better go for one stick of 512 MB ram because many motherboards have problems working with two sticks of memory.

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming it. There's just a few bucks difference in price between 2*256 and 1*512 so 1*512 seems like the better choice.

I keep reading that TwinMOS is hard to get and expensive but I don't find US$160 for a 512MB stick PC3200 Winbond that expensive. Especially not when compared with Corsair, which is $110 more for a 512MB stick...

Thanks again

/Ola

I'm actually planning on getting 2 sticks of the 512mb Twinmos ram, but I just wanted to point out that Corsair is not $110 more for for a 512mb stick than a 512mb of Twinmos. ($160 versus $183)

conscript said:
I just wanted to point out that Corsair is not $110 more for for a 512mb stick than a 512mb of Twinmos. ($160 versus $183)
Perhaps where you live ;)

I have forgotten to enter my location. I live in Sweden and Corsair is US$300 for 512MB while TwinMOS is $180 (checked prices and exchange rates again). So you're right, it's not $110 (anymore) but actually $120... :eek:

/Ola

ola said:

Perhaps where you live ;)

I have forgotten to enter my location. I live in Sweden and Corsair is US$300 for 512MB while TwinMOS is $180 (checked prices and exchange rates again). So you're right, it's not $110 (anymore) but actually $120... :eek:

/Ola

hmmm, newegg Corsair PC3200 $183 HERE
and MermoryX Twinmos PC3200 $163 HERE

Let's compare apples to apples here. they are both US prices, and while a significant (I feel) difference, no where near the difference you are indicating, at least in the US.

conscript said:

hmmm, newegg Corsair PC3200 $183 HERE
and MermoryX Twinmos PC3200 $163 HERE

Let's compare apples to apples here. they are both US prices, and while a significant (I feel) difference, no where near the difference you are indicating, at least in the US.
Lets also not forget that the Corsair 3200 uses 6ns chips while the Twinmos uses the 5ns chips, the same that the Corsair 3500 uses...

nikhsub1 said:

Lets also not forget that the Corsair 3200 uses 6ns chips while the Twinmos uses the 5ns chips, the same that the Corsair 3500 uses...

True, but lets also not forget that it doesn't matter since Corsair has the best guarantee on the block that your ram will meet the specs it was sold at. Twinmos doesn't have that sort of backing. Also, and alot of you miss this, the ram chips are only half the story when judging the module. The PCB is just as, if not more important. That is where Corsair gets their advantage from.

Mind you, I'm actually going to buy the Twinmos, but if money is no object, Corsair is the elite of the elite.

ola said:

OK

TwinMOS: SEK1561
Corsair: SEK2576

Not everyone lives in the US you know...

True.... but the majority of users here are from the US, and it's a US registered website, so when you make a blanket statement that "one thing costs this much more than another", you really need to qualify it, otherwise it's assumed you mean in the US...

Back