• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Half of potential bandwidth!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d00b

Registered
I'll be brief... why on earth am I getting about half of what I should be getting for memory bandwidth??

screen.gif

I did! No matter what I do, the most I get is 2gb/sec.... :(

I've got the ram @ 430mhz CAS2.5, 2/2/3

... I should be getting more than 2gb/sec!

whats your fsb. not on the mem on the cpu. the mem bandwidth benchmark will still be limited by the bandwidth of the cpu. if your running your cpu at 133 fsb that would be about right with your ram.

if you want 4gig mem scores get a p4 with an rdram platform or granite bay dc ddr. chipsets designed for the amd cpu are sadly lacking in memory performance. if you can get it up to 2.5 or 2.6 yer doing real good..

flapperhead said:
if you want 4gig mem scores get a p4 with an rdram platform or granite bay dc ddr. chipsets designed for the amd cpu are sadly lacking in memory performance. if you can get it up to 2.5 or 2.6 yer doing real good..

he he thats funny! 2.5 or 2.6 real good. on older chipsets mabe(kt266 or kt333) but incase you havn't noticed the kt400's and nforce 2 coupled with the newest athlon B t-breads are hitting 3.0 up to 3.5gig. i am running a kt 400 with athlon 2600+ and reaching 3.0gig memory bandwidth on sammy pc2700 and it is single channel ddr. now thats what i consider doing real good.

the reason the p4's are hitting the 4 gig mark is because of the 533fsb. not because of the chipset desighn!
;)

my last statement was a little tongue and cheek. however, my point is take a look at the non oc'd p4 chipsets ie 850 and the granite bay stuff. its running about 3500 stock! when cranked up, these chipsets can easily obtain 4500 and higher. yes something is wrong cause he should be around 2800. and yes the nforce amd boards are are nice, but no amd board at this point in time comes anywhere near the thruput that the top end p4 chipsets are producing especially when they are really cranked up.

yes due to the 533 fsb of the p4. maybe once amd gets the 64bit chips up and running and get the bugs worked out, somtime the end of this year or the first of next maybe they will be able to hit some good fsb speeds.(hope fully the barton will crank up the fsb like they say)but no one knows?

all in all unless you are doing some sereouse number crunching, todays systems amd and intell are far more than enogh bandwidth to run general aps and top of the line games!

the guy just needs to run the ram sync with his cpu and raise the fsb to reach the bandwith he is looking for. depending on if the chip he is running is unlocked, of course?

Back