• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Dye..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

undertow

Registered
Does water dye affect the heating (rather, cooling) capacity of the water? After looking online at water dye prices, I realized they're insane.. I went to Discount Auto Parts and picked up 2 1oz. bottles for $5.00.

"Flourescent Leak Detector Dye
For All Coolant Systems & Water Leaks"
(Appears Orange/Red in normal light, glows flourescent green/yellow under UV light)

Also, has anyone ever tried simple food coloring? You get much better color..

If anyone is interested, it's made by Interdynamics Model #LD-CS--2P

I also noticed the price of dyes to be a bit on the high side... Anyone know where to get some of that dye the glows blue when hit with UV? I know DTek has 'em, but it's 20 shipped! If not, I'll go with undertow and get automotive dye...

Shaotai said:
I also noticed the price of dyes to be a bit on the high side... Anyone know where to get some of that dye the glows blue when hit with UV? I know DTek has 'em, but it's 20 shipped! If not, I'll go with undertow and get automotive dye...

CaseMod.com has the blue UV dye for $9.99. Not sure what the shipping would be.

undertow said:
.. I went to Discount Auto Parts and picked up 2 1oz. bottles for $5.00.

"Flourescent Leak Detector Dye
For All Coolant Systems & Water Leaks"
(Appears Orange/Red in normal light, glows flourescent green/yellow under UV light)

Also, has anyone ever tried simple food coloring? You get much better color..

If anyone is interested, it's made by Interdynamics Model #LD-CS--2P

I've got the same dye that you picked up, no difference in temps from before I added it. Got mine at NAPA for the same price, it works great.

As for food coloring, I haven't tried it myself, but I decided against using it after dripping a drop or two on a scrap piece of tubing I had laying around, and it stained the tubing almost instantly.

YOU DONT NEED DYE!!!!!!!!
just buy a blue highlighter check that it glows nice in uv on a piece of paper, then simply open it up and get the little tube full of the flourecent stuff and dip in in ur water u need to dye and squeeze it untill it looses all of it, its a lot cheaper then buying die and you can get it anywhere and many colours hehe :D good luck i kno it doesnt affect the heat capacity thingy coz i tried and the colours look good aswell. tell me how it truns out and maybe post a pic or two coz im thinking of something similar in my water tank hehe :D check this thread http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=158205
good luck

Back