• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GEIL Ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fushyuguru

I remember talking to several people on some different forums way back last summer about a newcommer to the Ram scene, GEIL (Golden Emporer International Limited).

Homepage: http://www.geilusa.com/default.asp

I got some nasty remarks about some conspiracy and it being OCZ ram and such. Since then i looked into the company a little and found no real connection wth OCZ and no validity or proof to peoples remarks. I have also had a friend who bought some GEIL and he said hell never buy anything else but GEIL again. Reviews rave about the stuff (whether or not the reviews are valid...) but i dont hear much from anybody else.

Ive always bought Xtreme DDR but id like to hear if anyone has had some experience or knows anything GEIL.

Thanks!

PS - I forgot to add that what I found from looking into the company is that they actually manufacture IN HOUSE the pcb's and chips used in GEIL ram.

Last edited:
I have no experience with Geil, but after looking at some sigs around here, it seems that there are a few who are using them.
SilverSinkSam is one of them.

So I think you can trust your friend

It gets consistent good reviews but it lacks one thing that's required to make it the favorite. It's not better than the current favorite (Corsair).

Personally I like its looks and it costs a little less but if you want to be sure, you pay extra. It may seem a paradox that overclockers prefer the most expensive brand, but they know that Corsair will work as advertised and then some. Enthusiasts (of all types) will almost always choose the more expensive, established names if they work as advertised unless the newer or less expensive brands are much better.

Ive read various reviews regarding this memory and heard the OCZ theory as well (you must admit it does look very similar). Im not sure if there is any truth in this though.
The main negative point I have come across is compatibility problems such as those mentioned here I have actually seen a machine which behaved strangely and locked up when using this make of memory, changing the memory to another make fixed the problem, however the GEIL memory in this situation is still in use on another mobo and displaying no such problems

yeah compatability is always a good thing like in the case of xtreme DDR (what i buy) they will go to the point of telling you what ram you can buy up to on each mobo, max speed and timings. im not sure but i think corsair does the same.

theres no such suggestions on the geil site. but the stuff is fast as hell.

I use this memory and more specific the Geil DDR 3200 Cas 2 256 MB and having no problems running her at 440 Mhz with Cas 2-6-3-3.I'm very excited with this memory.

There are compatibility issues with many memory brands, even Corsair and Mushkin, but Corsair and Mushkin will try to fix the problem or allow you to swap it for a different type if there is a problem, Mushkin twice have reprogrammed memory for me and they go above and beyond to help thier customers.

The only thing I have a problem with in regard to Geil is that OCsystem.com and GEil USA are both run by Encore Innovations. OCsystem's reputation is hardly what I would call adequate.

But with that said I am very happy with the Geil I bought, it performs better than I thought it would at aggressive timings.

Ive heard that about ocsystem.com. Although I have never experienced it personally. But Im not sure if there is anything you can do about it because there arent many sources for geil ram that ive found.

I agree with silversinksam on his point about Muskin and quality as they were the only stick of ram that was qualified for my board from the manufacturer and no they are not linked in any way they just believe in quality of product and service!! They are gettin ready to come out with some ultra low latency ram soon that I would pay the extra $40 for over the competitor's because I know I can trust what I am getting and if I'm not mistaken don't geil make their own sticks but using winbond chips, I doubt they manufacture their own its to small of a market segment for in house production. I know because I worked for a electronics manufacturing plant in Tampa that manufactured ram and trust me it is some costly equiptment just to mount the chips to the board much less make a chip...

Back