• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Long Story- Short Questions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnWishedLegacy

This is a repeat of a prevois thread that get no passing traffic at all so I though I'd post a shortened version, I won't bother posting the entire thread again (from the MSI Mobo section- nobody ever visits there) but here's a link for the curious

But can anyone answer my questions from the bottom of my tale?

1) Why one out of four sticks of memory wasnt seated properly would the PC fail to start (no power going anywhere)?

2) I have two large sticks totalling 255mb (what everything says I have) and two smaller sticks with no labeling or info at all, so what are the small ones are cos I don't think its memory?

3) Is there a manual or something for the LED's and Beep combinations (assuming they are for diagnosis)?
It's not in the manual- And I couldnt find any info on the MSI website.

T.Toy said:
1) Why one out of four sticks of memory wasnt seated properly would the PC fail to start (no power going anywhere)?

2) I have two large sticks totalling 255mb (what everything says I have) and two smaller sticks with no labeling or info at all, so what are the small ones are cos I don't think its memory?

3) Is there a manual or something for the LED's and Beep combinations (assuming they are for diagnosis)?
It's not in the manual- And I couldnt find any info on the MSI website.

1. could be a short(to little info)
2. could be Sodimm(picture would help)
3. when you post look at what BIOS(Award, AMI, etc..)then finding the generic beep/LED codes for them is easy with a quick search on the web, or you tell us what the beeps or LED is posting.

Re: Re: Long Story- Short Questions...

ronin1967 said:
1. could be a short(to little info)
2. could be Sodimm(picture would help)
3. when you post look at what BIOS(Award, AMI, etc..)then finding the generic beep/LED codes for them is easy with a quick search on the web, or you tell us what the beeps or LED is posting.

I thought it might have been a short- I hope my mem is ok (no probs so far though), but I havn't a clue what a SoDimm is- care to enlighten me? I'll open my case and take a pic sometime soon, probably Tuesday when I have a day off.

I'm hunting online now in the Award website- thanks for pointing out the obvious.. I was looking in the Motherboard site- but the Bios is what makes all the noises. DUH! :rolleyes:

Anyway- a SoDimm is...?
Thanks Ronin

{edit}
Found the Post Beep codes- there are only two codes available- one long beep (like I had)= RAM error
One long + Two short= Video Error.
Simple :D

Last edited:
you can run memtest on your memory I would be happy to provide a link and an explanation.

could you tell me the beep or code you are getting?

For those of you that care- Ronin Yahoo'ed me and attempted to sort me out- and for those of you that are still interested, here is the conversation we had- Minus the needless bits.
The Other Day ronin1967oc: the motherboar dis the one in your sig the MSI 850?
toy21uk: yeah. ms- 6339 (I think the chipset is Intel 850)
ronin1967oc: I am curios, it's starts, doesn't post, no video and you get a beep or mulitple beeps
toy21uk: just one beep- the video error.
but all the probs were sorted when I put the mystery stick back in, all the questions are more of a retrospective view.
But im more curious about SoDimm
ronin1967oc: Sodimm is a type of memory, looks like shortened PC100 or PC133, in fact it is the same just shorter, usually reserved for laptops, looked at your board, not sure how you could have it in there
toy21uk: well, my PC is an OEM system- all the parts are as standard, apart from a card cooler.
the 'SoDimm' isn't 'shorter' (probably should have worded myself better), length and width wise- its the same, it just less height.
ronin1967oc: height doesn't matter...you had me puzzled
toy21uk: oops. sorry
ronin1967oc: no problem, so it works now? everything is okay?
toy21uk: yeah- I'm using it now (I was drawing a small & crappy pic to try and explain myself a bit better.
toy21uk: So it could be a SoDimm then? sounds about right for a part in my rig...
So Dim
ronin1967oc: no...wouldn't fit
toy21uk: hmmm, wonder what it is then? I'll have to have a look and se if there is any part No that I missed or something.

Could it just be a filler? I have fourslots, two are used- could those two skinny cards just be there to connect the gaps?
ronin1967oc: the are memory, have modules on them, just no height
ronin1967oc: not as high
toy21uk: possibly. I'll just have to take a better look next time.

And so I DID take a better look- and next to the HUGE MSI logo- theres a product number... "ms-6908", So I'm off to see the wizard and see what I can find on the website.

:beer: This is for you Ronin (and share a bit with the cat :)

Back