• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Peformance hit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ludio

Is there a performance hit when using 512mb stick instead of a 256mb stick when overclocking? If so how much of one?

512 sticks get much hotter than 256 sticks. One is double sided while the other is single. whenever i buy 512 meg, i get 2x 256 and have always been able to hit the highest speeds that the company claims, even farther most times.

If I were to just get the 256x2 instead of 512x2 would then be sacrificing 512mb of memory I want to be able to use the DC capabilties of the Epox Nforce2 Mobo I want to get. How will this affect me running many apps at once? Cuz I do alot of background work when serving the web like listening to music, dowloading music and at times typing papers for schools. Lets not forget games. But at the same time I want o overclock well and at least get a 450fsb in sync at some point and time.

a gig of ram is just a luxury pretty much. the only time ive ever used that much ram (or needed) is when i do simulations in matlab that are pushing 1kx1k matrices.

256 sticks overclock better, but i doubt you will see much of a difference in multitasking speeds between the gig and the 512. i do the same thing on my box im currently using.

right now im folding, using aim, streaming music across our intranet to 46 connected users, playing winamp and using mozilla composer without any lag in performance. total ram usage is 347meg of the 512 and 19meg in my swap partition (fat 16 of course).

yeah no problem, i never like seeing people spend TOO MUCH money. even if they have more than enough of it. go buy a chick dinner and get some play instead.

Back