• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copper

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhiteHawk

Im gonna order some copper for my waterblock and i was wondering how thick the top and bottom pieces should be.....also how wide. thanks

WhiteHawk said:
Im gonna order some copper for my waterblock and i was wondering how thick the top and bottom pieces should be.....also how wide. thanks

Depends on which processor your using and what design you want to do. I know socket A mounting hole spacing is 36mmx66mm or 1.42x2.6inches. So something to fit the mounting hole spacing. I believe I did mine with almost 2.5 inches. I'd go with a 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch thickness and if you need to you can stack a few pieces that way.

its gonna be on a socket A. i was thinking like 2inx3in since you dont really want the mounting holes right on the edge.......1/4in for bottom and 3/8in for top since the cuts are going to be in the bottom piece (microchannels) does that sound good?

well the bottom piece of cathars block I believe is about 6mm, which is about 1/4", so that should be fine. Do you plan on using jet impigment for your block?

JML said:
well the bottom piece of cathars block I believe is about 6mm, which is about 1/4", so that should be fine. Do you plan on using jet impigment for your block?

dunno what jet impigment is. i plan on doing microchannels with a chop saw and do they have to be cut cross wise? do you need a space between the microchannels and the top piece? otherwise how would the water flow through them??

WhiteHawk said:

dunno what jet impigment is. i plan on doing microchannels with a chop saw and do they have to be cut cross wise? do you need a space between the microchannels and the top piece? otherwise how would the water flow through them??

Think of jet impigment like a garden hose nozzle. Kind of similiar. It creates turbulance and velocity which help with cooling. Should be some examples in the water block gallery. Do a search for Cathar's white water block.

Your microchannels can cut anyway you like either horizontal, vertical or how ever your imagination can dream up. Technically you don't want space between the microchannels and the top piece. Depending on the jet impingment design, the jet should allow the water to flow through all the channels.

just get 1/4 for top and bottom
and for middle plate if your going to do that. or 1/8 for middle plate.

Back