• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would adding more help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

homicsbane

I have an athlon XP 1800 with gigabyte 7VRX mobo (rev 2.0). GeForce 2 MX400 64mb video, and 256mb of pc2100 ddr runnin windows 2000. My Quake 3 framerates are not good, a slow 91fps (highest detail) at only 800x600 and 58fps at 1024x768! On UT2003 flyby at 640x480 i have 55 and botmatch its only 25, and thats with medium detail!!I have been considering buying another 256mb pc2100, would that help with my framerates or is it my videocard thats holding me back?

Although the amount of memory you have is a bit on the skimpy side, you have more than enough to run any game out on the market. The culprit to your sub-par framerates is your vid card. If I were you, I would look into investing in a new one rather than buying more memory.

Yeah well said. You could pick up a nice V Card for about the same price as adding another 256 megs of ram.

Well after reading your post again maybe the V card will cost a little more than 256 of PC 2100, but none the less its the way to go.

Pricewatch.com is a good place to look. They have a radeon 8500 for 65 bucks if thats what your looking to spend. Its a good fast budget v card.

if money is low, i would even go as far looking at a GF4 440 se sdram versions are only 50 bucks and ddr are like 60. not that bad for the price. although if you can afford it the 8500 is way better. and the 9500 with the new softmod is a very nice buy.

I'm not getting another MX card, ive had it with budget cards! I was thinking of geting a GF4 ti 4200 128mb. I live in Canada, so I could get the Asus one for about $250 CDN or the MSI one for $289 CDN. The problem is both those cards are AGP 8x and I only have an AGP 4x slot, could I get an 8x card and set it back to 4x?

Back