• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory size/quantity

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathONator

What will give me the best Performance? Having 2 sticks of 256/512s, or 1 stick of 512/1GB? I think the one stick right? Also, if you do have 2 sticks it's better to have the same size for performance right?
Thanks

Most people will tell you it's better to have one stick than two. And if you have two, smaller amounts (ie, 256 meg sticks) are better than bigger ones (512 meg sticks).

Me, I've been using two 512 meg sticks of Corsair PC3200 Cas2 and I'm never going back. I can use aggressive timings, and I have a freaking gig of ram. That stuff is worth the cost.

512 used to be a lot of ram, but when you play games like Mafia and BF 1942 you'll see a significant increase in performance (load times especially) if you have more (768 to a gig).

2x 256 or 1x512 I would say to look at performance (considering both are of equal standard of speed) would not be the way to go...

first if my board can say take 512max in each slot, then I wouldnt go 256 as it would leave more room to upgrade in future.

if overclocking there is an issue with more sticks of memory. which has been posted in here before, a forum search will bring that up.

generally the price, couple with my point of what your boards slot can take I found that the difference in price was about £15-20 for a stick of 512 to 256, so although 2x would save you say £30 in the short term, when you want to come and get more memory you may wish you had of gone with the larger module

Back