• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which MOBO?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dieni

At the moment I am running a P4 2.4Ghz Northy at 2.8Ghz with 155FSB on an ASUS P4B533-E. The problem is that I have a stick of Samsung 512Mb of DDR400 and I cant take full potential of it, with my current mobo.

Which mobo should I get to use my memory to its full and still keep my CPU oc. As always, I am leaning to ASUS, as I had always good luck with them, but will conisder other brands aswell

Note that I might exchange the stick of PC3200 to 2 sticks of 256mb PC3200 in order to take advantage of the Dual channel ddr mobos.

Your best bet is probably going to be running a 845PE board, but you shouldn't expect to see 400MHz memory speeds even on that.

The VIA and SiS boards have native support for DDR400 but are horrible overclockers. Stay away from them.

Also, don't expect to see a sizeable jump in application performance between running your memory at 333 and 400. The benchmarks I've seen show less than a three percent improvement in application performance between the two memory speeds. If you decide to hang on to your 845E board until the Springdale and Canterwood boards ship (D-DDR400, 800MHz FSB) you'll probably come out ahead.

BHD

Edit: I wrote the last post on the way out the door to work last night and made a huge mistake.

Memory speeds greater than 400MHz have been achieved on 845PE boards. Sorry about the mistake.

But I got the second part right. Upping the memory speed doesn't translate into a big increase in application performace.

BHD

Back