• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mem Causing Corruption?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OverClockedStu

Registered
I am curious, running at 180 FSB on my rig I was doing fine at 180x12 fine windows gives weird hardware profile error, so I restart...BAM windows is corrupt cant get anything working even with repair cd...samsung pc2700 mem...WD HDD...the divisor was set at 5:2:1....

I am curious what caused this corruption? My mem, my OC? my fsb or my hdd?

I have a AT-7 Max-2

Anyways....thx for help!

ronin1967 said:
180FSB at 1/5 is 36MHz migh be to high for your HDD, especially if you are seeing data corruption.
Doubtful, most HD's are OK up to about 39Mhz. I would bet it is the OC on the RAM. What happens is Windows caches alot of system operations/files in the ram and if the ram tweaks out, bye bye system and time to reformat...

k...thx for replies....so I just got this ram, I am not gettin any more :p I had it running nice and stable at 176 fsb which i guess is allt he higher I am gonna go... I forgot which settings my ram was at when I tried to get the fsb up. I think ill install windows to my other hdd and F**K around with it just incase anything happens. Thx for inputs

there are alot of things that can cause problems, solution, test each one

cpu- test utility, games, 3dmark, etc...

memory, mem 86, test memory and find problems that are not noticible right away but later on,

check drives, also video, sound, so many, but if you want a stable system you need to make sure everything is running fine, and not one hidding the other;)

I spend almost the whole weekend testing my system, cause I'm modding it, I found out that higher volts, cause my ram to get errors the more juice I give the cpu and also the video, how did I find out, by testing each piece, good luck, and I hope everything works fine:D

XP does seem to be more prone to HDD corruption than 98 was in my experience. I started having problems as described above while I was pushing the limits of my machine. I got tired of reformatting XP, so I installed 98 in a dual boot setup, so I wouldn't have to spend an hour reformatting. To my surprise, the hard drive scrambling went away. It might crash, but 98 would immediately work ok again when rebooted. I relaxed the memory settings, and the same symptoms persisted, so I'm pretty sure it was the hard drive.

nunez1980 said:

I meant to ask overclockedstu, but anyways, I'm running my ram at 2.85 through the bios, with the voltage that high my PC2700 can hit anywhere between 180 and 190 fsb at most aggressive settings.

Back