• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how mutch temp diferance will water really make?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

walldow

hey this is my first post in the water cooling section. i am really interested in getting a water settup. but to start with i would like to buy a complete setup. hopfully not spending much more than $100 - $150. i found this AHANIX ICEBERG colling system at newegg for $99?

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=11-126-990

is it anygood? and what kind of temp drops could i get using a water setup like this?

i am currently running an athlon 2600+@2200mhz with a v-core of 1.8 and temp running 47c idle and 52c under load. using the stock heatsink from AMD that came with the retail box 2600+ but i switched fans and am running a thermaltake smartfan (from a volcano 7) with variable speed by thermastat.

thanks !

The iceberg is complete and total junk.
You can build your own for the same price that will be much better.

Wc should get you in the 30s with much less noise.

nealric said:
The iceberg is complete and total junk.
You can build your own for the same price that will be much better.

Wc should get you in the 30s with much less noise.

I agree with everything. You can build something better for less money.
Here is an example (I am not saying it is the best, just an example)

Heater Core from Auto Parts Store:
$23.00

Pump (Maxi-Jet)
$27.00

DD3 Water Block
$40.00

Resivor, Fittings, and Hoses ran me about $45.00.

HERE is what I ended up with. The only differance is my rad, which sucks so I would go with the Heater Core.

i did a h20 system just recently on my 2700.
volcano7+ 40c idle 48c load [email protected]
DDmaze3 setup 29c idle 36c load [email protected]

but i dont hear the stupid 7000 rpm screamer!
i cant say i was able to oc higher with h20 but if i was willing to run 2vcore then yes i could run faster.ive done 2600mhz @2v at 42c load,but im just not willing to risk the cpu.

in your price range, the only option for you is to build your own system - if you buy a kit at that price, it will be junk almost guaranteed. the temps you would get with the system you mentioned would not be better than just good air cooling. Read through the stickies on where to buy if you need to, and you can build a system that gets you in the 30's easily, AND fit your budget.

yeh i didnt even mention the topic imog just did.hes exactly correct.cheap h20 stuff is no better than air cooling.
and that kit u listed is about the worst preforming kit besides the ocho.com reactor wb.god they still sell that thing too,amazingly bad.

you can try to get one off ebay in that range a guy just sold a ehiem 1250 2 swiftechs and 2 crap rads for a $136 with hose and stuff but you will have to wait for one and search all the time

Water cooling is an excellent way to cool. Obviouslly! lol

The biggest trick is that with just water cooling, no one can say for sure what your temps will be. The way to think of how your temps will be, is they will typically be around 5 degress (C) over your room temps. Water can only be cooled to the temps of your room the system is in. So, if your running a room around 32C (89.6F) all the time, then you should be able to get it around 37C @ Full load (98.6F). But if your rooms always at say 45C (114F), then your gonna be pushing 50C (122F) no matter.

Granted, if your rooms around 45C (114F) anyways then you need to get an air conditioner!~! lol

The thing is, with the best water cooling equipment and it setup the best, you will get just a little over your room temps. Figure out your average room temps and you should be able to figure up around where you could get with water cooling.

thanks for the replies.

ok so i bild my own water cooling system. this would be like me building my first pc last year.

1st system:

shuttle ak11
thunderbird 1.4 gig
pc133
g-foece 4 mx 420 64meg
westen digatal 20gighd 5200rpms

real crappy system!:(

and my second sytem 3 months later:

shuttle ak35gt2 (nice board but no overclocking potential)
athon 2200+(wouldn't o-c worth s%*T)
sammy ctl pc2700(best thing i ever bought, still running it in system now @400mhz)

and third sytem on specs below:

my piont is! i don't know what the heck to buy and how to asemble it? and i don't want to spend a bunch of money two or three time to get a top notch water system like i did building my pc!

would anyone be willing to help me find the parts needed and mabe post a link or two on instuctions for putting a good water cooler together. i can handle two or three hundred bucks for good stuff if it's not all in one pop.:D

thanks for any help!

You can get pretty much anything you need from D-tek. The only thing you can save money from if you go that route, that I can think of, is getting the heatercore yourself from autozone for $17 and make your own shroud. Maybe use cheap vinyl hose. Tygon is better though but not really needed.

Pretty easy to setup if you buy from D-tek since they sell everything you would need. Just hook the hoses up and plug in your pump and your set. Don't forget to use hose clamps on everything!

water vs air

Its not just the temp!!

I work with computer engineers and (wouldn't you know it?) most of them overclock AMD... Anyway, an often-overlooked advantage of water is that there is no fan-caused vibration on the CPU core as there would be in a HSF system. This vibration can limit OC'ing to a small degree...

skahtul said:

I agree with everything. You can build something better for less money.
Here is an example (I am not saying it is the best, just an example)

Heater Core from Auto Parts Store:
$23.00

Pump (Maxi-Jet)
$27.00

DD3 Water Block
$40.00

Resivor, Fittings, and Hoses ran me about $45.00.

HERE is what I ended up with. The only differance is my rad, which sucks so I would go with the Heater Core.

holy s*** dude....where in the F**K did you get those speakers and how did you connect them to your pc??!??!?!?!

whitehawk: when i glanced at his linky it looked like he just had a cable hooked up to his audio-out jack that lead to a receiver... from there its just his home stereo. i just glanced, but i thought that was what i saw.

arkaine: fan caused vibration limiting oc??? hah, i think most of us around here can say they never considered that.

walldow: go to dtek and they will outline all you need. basically a quick rundown is this: pump, tubing, heat exchanger (like suggested, heatercore from autoparts place is best choice), waterblock. you will also need to decide if you want to fill it using a t-line or a resevoir, if you decide on a t-line then you will need a t-joint. another decision will be the internal diameter of the tubing and matching that to the fittings of all the other parts (wb, rad, etc.). you will want atleast one fan on the heat exchanger; some like to use two in a push pull sandwich. theres the basics, if i missed anything, someone will call me on it, i'm sure. got more questions? ask away. :)

when i glanced at his linky it looked like he just had a cable hooked up to his audio-out jack that lead to a receiver... from there its just his home stereo

That is what i did, you can buy a 2 to 1 adapter from ratshack. Plug it in to your Speaker out on your Sound card,other ends into your AUX port. 2x15's here, yahoodies!

yeah they are right The Iceberg 1 is ok. I bought one and I'm already looking at upgrading. If you just want to get rid of the fan noise its not a bad little system. but if you want to OC then build it yourself.

If you want to spend 2 or 3 hundred bucks then you can get the best. A nice, upper level system would be (from dtek)
(all with 1/2" fittings)
-Dtek heatercore with shroud+120mm fan (~50)
-TC-4 WB aluminum top (~40)
-Eheim 1250 pump(~50)
-1/2" Tygon Tubing(~15)
-Misc. fittings and clamps (~30)

There, a very nicely performing system for under 200 bucks, all from Dtek.

IFMU said:
Water cooling is an excellent way to cool. Obviouslly! lol

The biggest trick is that with just water cooling, no one can say for sure what your temps will be. The way to think of how your temps will be, is they will typically be around 5 degress (C) over your room temps. Water can only be cooled to the temps of your room the system is in. So, if your running a room around 32C (89.6F) all the time, then you should be able to get it around 37C @ Full load (98.6F). But if your rooms always at say 45C (114F), then your gonna be pushing 50C (122F) no matter.

Granted, if your rooms around 45C (114F) anyways then you need to get an air conditioner!~! lol

The thing is, with the best water cooling equipment and it setup the best, you will get just a little over your room temps. Figure out your average room temps and you should be able to figure up around where you could get with water cooling.

Sorry to intrude wallbow, but I have a question as well. My computers are in a sunroom. It can get pretty warm in here during the summer (about 80-85) and very chilly during the winter (about 50-55) . Would it be okay to use water cooling?

thanks for the replies guys!:D

i have whent to d-tek and they have some pretty nice stuff!

now thw only question i have is:

wouldn't it be better to have my radiator, fan and resevoir out side of my case. resson being, the air outside the case is cooler 22c instead of inside the case with temps of 45c? i could buid a small platform behind or on the side of my case and drill holes for the tubes to deliver the coolent to the waterblock!:rolleyes:

walldow said:
thanks for the replies guys!:D

i have whent to d-tek and they have some pretty nice stuff!

now thw only question i have is:

wouldn't it be better to have my radiator, fan and resevoir out side of my case. resson being, the air outside the case is cooler 22c instead of inside the case with temps of 45c? i could buid a small platform behind or on the side of my case and drill holes for the tubes to deliver the coolent to the waterblock!:rolleyes:

If you've got 45 c temps inside your case, you have some major problems :p. Honestly though, if you do it right, mounting a wc system inside your case should produce just as good of temps as building it outide.

Back