• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

troublesome p42400/rdram 1066

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

synik

Registered
Heya all,
I just recently posted about overclocking my rig and HOW to do it. But you see now the problem is that it isn't really overclocking that well... and I'm not that sure as to WHY it isn't overclocking that well.
I know that it isn't the heat that is a problem because I have a front mounted temperature gauge which maxxes at like 49c (only when i play intense games too).

Other than the heat problem I don't know why it isn't really overclocking that well. I'll describe to you what happened as I ramped up the fsb:
1. It is originally: 133.33 fsb, p4 2400, kingston rdram1066, gigabyte GA81hxp.
2. I kept ramping up the fsb and the highest i could get it with normal windows logon was 144. BUT even though I could log on and get into the computer and it SEEMED to be working it wasn't really working.
3. I could use windows but when i tried to run 3dmark it only went through completely on a 140 fsb.

The errors were always something memory... or the bsod with some memory thing... So maybe the problem is with my finicky memory... or I don't know. I just need someone who has more experience to give me an idea about what I can do?

I even tried adding some vcore. I added .025 and .05 for stuff like 142-144.... still no luck. What is a safe vcore level????

p.s. When i ran 3dmark i clicked benchmark then left... and usually when i came back there wasn't anything but a blank desktop... meaning 3dmark didn't work.

Last edited:
sounds like your memory may be crappin out.4x144 = pc1152. try setting the memory multiplier in the bios to 3x that will bump the mem speed down. if the system becomes stable then experiment with incrementally increasing the fsb. that will allow you to determine how fast you can overclock the cpu. when the cpu fails try increasing the voltage to the cpu. that will help with stability, but dont go over 1.75 volts.
Once you have determined what the limit of your cpu is, then you can start experimenting with the memory multipliers to see how fast the memory can run. also check in the bios to see if it offers you a memory voltage selection, if it does then once you have reached the limit if your memory speed, bump up the voltage (ie 2.7) and see if it works
only test one thing at a time, that way you can determine the limits of each oc'd component involved and it will allow you to get best out of your overclocking attempt.

memory multiplier... where?

So where would the memory multiplier be? Oh also thanks for the advice that will help a lot.

here's a quick pic of my advanced chipset bios screen... It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a steller mobo but it can do some good stuff. http://people.bu.edu/tbsmith/bios.JPG

new pic... whats this error.

this is probably just me being conservative but should i take any precautions with this?

What i had done was this:
1. I clocked the ram down to 800.
2. Then i put the fsb to 145
3. restart
4 . got this message

http://people.bu.edu/tbsmith/bios2.JPG

whats all the other stuff/options

Over Rimm voltage?? (Enabled/disabled)

Over AGP voltage?? (is it like the vcore just for ur graphix card? )

Memory ECC mode?? (no clue)

ICH delayed transaction?? (Enabled/disabled)

DMA Collection buffer?? (Enabled/disabled)

WOW! it worked at the settings i described. (well i had fsb 148 instead... still tho!!!!)

sooo kewl!! I got a 12400 on the 3dmark. SOOO KEWL. Arg now i'm addicted to overclocking. lol!

p.s. as u might have guessed i was too impatient to wait for a reply so i went ahead.

It's probably just a weird mishap that i got a lower score on 3dmark, 12100, with a 150 fsb. Right?

----------------------------------------
Alright so here's the final stats:
----------------------------------------
-With the ram set at 800:
-Max stable fsb = 150

-With the ram set at 1066:
-Max stable fsb = 136 (bs isn't that...)

*******************************************************************************************************************
How can I improve the 1066 fsb??????????????????????????!!!

p.s. 3dmark with 148 fsb = 12400 (800 ram)
136 fsb = 12100 (1066 ram)
*******************************************************************************************************************

Last edited:
Back