• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My "chilled" system *pics*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Axle

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

I wanted to build a passive rad out of tubing (like Gerwin) to replace my leaky bucket, but here in PA it's cold from around November to March (or at least colder outside than in), so I figured I'd put the rad behind the rafters and get some really killer temps . It's not honestly what I would have build, but I was working under size constraints of the rafters, so that was what I came up with. It cost ~ $5 to make, with the 18ft of tubing (still have 6 left over too for my next project: the summer rad :cool: ), elbows, and T's. The hole in the wall was very inexpensive :D.

So I crawled into the attic, tied some rope around the thing, and dropped it behind the walls.

Temps are pretty poor, though, and it's no wonder. My rig:

1.2 T-bird @ 1.3, Ti4200
TC-4, Innovatek GF4, NB(yes, that's right, it's not connected. No real need, these Shuttles don't really need the cooling-but I will someday!)
MaxiJet 1200, tygon & very nice air hose from HD (.29/ft-it's STURDY!).

pump is in res, and it goes:
pump/res ->rad->CPU->GF4->res/pump

Temps are:
25 system, 32C idle, 38C load. It's -3C outside, and even saying that it's 10C warmer in the rafters, that's 20C over ambient!!

With two constricitive blocks, ~25ft tubing & the added constriction of the rad, the 1/4 outlet from the Innovatek is little more than a dribble. Does anyone agree that with a more powerfull pump I'll see a big temp drop?

I'm thinking of the Eheim 1060-anyone know where I can get a REALLY killer deal on one?

So any thoughts??? Advice??? 'Wow-that's-ghetto' comments??? Thanks y'all, and more pics can be found here

I guess that your homemade "radiator" isn't doing a good enough job in dispersing the heat. A better pump would surely help, too.

Is the water forced to go through the cross connected tubes, or can it flow straight through?

It can flow straight through; that's one of it's biggest problems. It's really not the design I'd have picked, but it had to be >11in wide, >7in deep, and 16in tall to fit my hole in the wall. My summer rad will look more like Gerwin's, who really has this down.

I may try to make a little better design later, but at the moment, for $5, I'm pretty happy.

too much constriction, that NB causes.

And yeah, I guess I could. I think I'll design a little better rad this weekend, and see how it goes.

Back